Thursday, June 23, 2005

express myself

For those who haven't noticed yet, I am not someone who does a good job of fully expressing myself with a few short and guarded words. Since most of my interaction in my life is short and guarded, that means I really don't express myself much. Actually, now that I am in a job where I am more comfortable with my coworkers, I do express myself quite a bit more than I used to.

I have determined that I cannot really relay many cogent thoughts in single, contextless posts without my audience having some understanding of the warped mind behind the posts. I have to lay down a foundation bit by bit of how I think in order for most of what I really want to say to make sense. To borrow an example from literature, I feel I need to establish my character before what I say has proper context. This is the reason you will see posts about worlds colliding and the difference between an optimist and a pessimist. It gives context into how I think so that when I say something that might otherwise sound stupid on this site it will make some sense.

I have already passed on a few posts because I couldn't fully explain what I wanted to explain in a short amount of space. What I would have had to write for the paragraph I cared about to make sense would amount to an epistle.

Why do I care? That isn't a rhetorical question. I'm asking because I don't know. Maybe I'll figure it out sometime.

8 comments:

windarkwingod said...

I do understand the dilemma. I wonder if my posts paint a stunning bi-polar portrait. I have noticed that many bloggers are attempting to flesh-out the person behind the posts. This requires a massive amount of dialogue to bring the virtual personality to life. I had never thought about this before. The curious thing is that blog identity reveals a depth unrealized outside of the sphere. I look at everyone much differently now.

Anonymous said...

Express yourself
(You've got to make him)
Express himself
Hey, hey, hey, hey
So if you want it right now, make him show you how
Express what he's got, oh baby ready or not
Express yourself
(You've got to make him)
So you can respect yourself
Hey, hey
So if you want it right now, then make him show you how
Express what he's got, oh baby ready or not

Dash said...

So I'm not the only that had a madonna flash-back...

Dust,

I saw a movie that night with the following quote:

... "You're a realist that is pretending to be a pessimist, frightend by your own optimism."


For some reason Mrs. Dash and I though of you. It is interesting to note that when taken from this perspective, the quad over the last weeks is actually a 3 point continuumn with Realism acting both as blend and mid-point.

It also would imply that forrest and all the other idealists are just off to the side somewhere ... but they like it that way.

FLAME ON!!!!!

f o r r e s t said...

So you watched Hitch last night. Funny movie! I wonder if dust liked it, because scene after scene it hit you with jokes, funny dance moves, gross food allergies, smooth pick-up lines and a little lovin.' Don't you hate the manipulation of a movie to make you laugh.

Dash- are you saying I am an idealist?
I am not.
I am a romantic. I romanticize over realism expressed through optimism,idealism, and pessimism. I hold dear my value I give to my suspension of disbelief.

shakedust said...

Actually, I really liked Hitch a lot. It was hilarious and stayed within the bounds of reality that it set for itself.

As a bonus I got to debate with myself the morality of manipulating women's emotions like Hitch taught men to do in the movie. If I am provided that privilege in a movie, I will forgive a lot that might be wrong with the movie.

For what it's worth (I can't stop using that phrase), my harsh reality of a conclusion was that in most situations women give lesser noticed guys little choice. But then that is a completely new topic altogether. :)

f o r r e s t said...

I knew you liked it, I was thinking about your comment on the manipulation of emotion for the Pianist and how that might relate to a romantic comedy. I have not seen the Pianist, so I am staying out of that one, but I thought hitch was great.

If I could be that smooth...

shakedust said...

I thought you would remember that I noted my enjoyment of the movie.

I'll have to think a little more about humor manipulation. It's not something I have considered much. I think everyone has red flags that go off when they believe they are being manipulated. Mine happen to go off during just about any emotional appeal in life or in a movie.

There is a fine line between persuasion and manipulation. I don't always know where the line is.

windarkwingod said...

I'm too sexy for my blog photo....