Friday, June 03, 2005

a tale of two dispensers

The bathroom on the floor of my office building that I work on has two paper towel dispensers. One is near the door and has a trash can below it, and so is the natural one to use. The other is on the far wall from the office door and is out of the way for anyone who is not using the stall on that far end of the room. Don't be misled by the phrase, "far end of the room," though, because this is not a large bathroom. Because of this setup I have gotten into the habit of using the paper dispenser nearest the door.

There is just one problem with this arrangement. The paper dispenser nearest the door oftentimes does not want to dispense paper. It is not uncommon to push down on the lever for the paper dispenser, hear a thunka sound, and not see any paper come out.

Yesterday, while I was in the bathroom, I got into one of those awkward situations where myself and one other person went for the same sink at nearly the same time. Since I was a little behind the other guy going for the sink, I decided to let him use that sink and I took the sink closest to the not-very-frequently-used-but-it-works dispenser. As I was doing this I noted in my mind that the more commonly used dispenser had not been providing much paper lately. About this time I looked over, saw the man at the dispenser, and heard that familiar sound.

Thunka. Thunka. Thunka-thunka-thunka-thunka.

(pause)

Thunka.

At this moment the guy looked my direction as if to ponder whether it was worth walking past me at the sink to get a full paper towel sheet. Then he looked back down at the incredibly small amount of paper sticking out of the dispenser, ripped it out, used it with what I have to assume was a purpose of putting on a show more than drying his hands, and walked out of the bathroom.

I smiled and dried my hands with a full paper towel.

4 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

Good bathroom story! There have been times that I had to use a small ripped up paper towel to dry my hands. Afterwards, I also use my pant legs to dry off my hands.

T said...

yeah, pant legs are a great way to dry off--unless they are cream slacks!

I usually avoid things nearer the door do to high traffic area.

windarkwingod said...

I have done the fake bathroom sequence in small areas as well.

windarkwingod said...

Just a thought - Don't ever use paper hand towels to wipe your nose, I have a chafed spot below my septum that burns when I apply my Old Spice cologne - and of course, the reverse is true, never dry your hands with toilet paper. Flicking the wet gops off your fingers steals dignity from the bathroom sequence when being observed by another participating individual (You KNOW they're looking! Just ask Mrs. DashT and GoldenDustRise!!!)