Friday, June 17, 2005

acting serious

Things are never gonna be the way you want.
Where's it gonna get you acting serious?
Things are never gonna be quite what you want.
Or even at 25, you gotta start sometime.
Again with the Jimmy Eat World lyrics.

I have a bad habbit of making snide, sarcastic, or otherwise dry wisecracks that don't always get noticed or acknowledged as jokes and sometimes are believed as honest opinion. This problem is magnified when I try to relay them online. I think I need some help to improve this. I have come up with a few ideas.

Idea #1 is to use smileys a lot. For example:
So, Citi has at least 3.9 million customers? :) :) :) :) You'll never guess how I know that! ;)
Idea #2 is to use shortened AOL-speak a lot. For example:
O Mi Ga, the posterior regions of these jeans are real tight. ROTFLOL!
Idea #3 is to point out the sarcasm and punchlines. For example:

Pessimists are the biggest risk-takers around (this is sarcasm).

Or I could just combine them all.

O Mi Ga, have you heard the difference between Dust and God? :) :) :) God doesn't think He is Dust (this is the punchline)! ROTFL

Let me know what you think. Will my ideas above work? Do you have any other ideas?

5 comments:

windarkwingod said...

many times I have made wisecracks and everyone thinks I'm serious because I'm too dour or something - this is usually with people who don't know me quite as well as you guys. Xmy(_x_)

windarkwingod said...

Sorry - one more thought... Real Estate ads and chatrooms are one example of how the written word is morphing into a code that still is coherent enough to carry meaning. It's almost like the opposite end of cryptography, where the meaning is hidden deep within a series of numbers or symbols. I.M.M. has been helping with a series of picture words to describe salvation. Actually, picture words is not a good description. These nickel-sized illustrations attempt to convey the gospel meesage to someone who cannot read. It is just like the Egyptian Heiroglyphs or the writing on the Mayan ruins. The Chinese language also developed through consistent picture-symbols. This new A/G heiroglyphs are bending the corner back down to the ancient civilizations. Interesting when you apply this to the direction of civilization. (Please excuse the Xmy(_Y_) - I get excited when I can make a new symbol) B>

Anonymous said...

Darwin,
Those are nice BREAST!!! (_Y_)
;)wink ;)wink ;)wink ROTFL (this is a joke.

Jadee said...

I use alot of AOL-speak in emails and chatting. I have to watch myself with you guys, so as to not offend with the LMAO. But for T, my best friend, she knows when I say that...I really am Laughing my butt off!

My coworkers told me that they love getting emails from me because I always have smiley faces!

So whatever works for you....

shakedust said...

In case anyone hasn't noticed, I pointed out things that I have used in various comments throughout the past couple of weeks.