Monday, December 24, 2007

if the holidays were perfect

Christmas time and summer are the best times for me to see my parents because my dad works with a school system near where they live. He is kept busy even when school is not in session, so if I visited during the school year I would barely see him at all.

This year I am taking six vacation days from work plus two weekends and the two holidays off so we can see Golden's family then my family. As we have been out in the cold some this weekend I have been asking myself why such a major holiday is held when it is so cold outside.

It almost feels like a waste of a vacation day to take it when the temperature is about twenty-five degrees Fahrenheit outside. There are so many wonderful spring and summer days I spend in the office, but when it is freezing outside is the time that I travel to see family.

I think that the holidays should be concentrated more in warmer months (to accommodate me, of course). Christmas and New Year's Day should be celebrated on consecutive days in May. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President's Day, and Memorial Day should also be celebrated that week so American workers can get a full week off in Spring.

If we had this setup, I could have sixteen Spring days off in a row for the price of five vacation days. That would be time worth taking.

5 comments:

Portland wawa said...

You have a point. Too bad it's just a dream.

T said...

cool, I suggest you start an email that has everyone forward the petition to at least 10 friends and then you track it. Then you submit it on behalf of Americans who want warmer vacations! :) Just remember if you are sending it to me the address to send it to is: ihatethesethings@antichainemail.com
I'd hate to miss it! :)

RDW said...

Move to Australia.

Achtung BB said...

Wishful thinking

f o r r e s t said...

How would one Snowski? We sometime use presidents day weekend to have fun in the snow.