Thursday, December 20, 2007

diamond and the rough

I don't know where in the country specific commercials have been showing, but one that has been driving me nuts is a Jared Jewelry commercial. In the commercial a woman explains that her new ring comes from Jared's and everyone makes a big deal about it and repeats, "He went to Jared." I looked all over online for a copy of this commercial, but it must be so bad that no one wants to upload it to a video website.

Most of the reason the commercial irritates me is that it is so overacted that it is embarrassing to watch. Beyond that, though, it does not seem to fit the target audience. In theory, the market for jewelry is mostly composed of men buying for their better half. I think that most of the Jared commercials I have seen would make more men not want to go to Jared than go to Jared.

I can imagine a commercial from a Jared competitor where two guys are talking. One would say, "He went to Jared," and the other would respond with, "Bummer." That commercial would probably be more effective than the current Jared commercials.

I am fortunate that Golden, despite her name, is not huge into jewelry. So, I do not feel pressure to buy diamonds every time I see this commercial. I will point out that, so I do not sound like a horrible husband, if she decides she does want jewelry at some point that will not be a big deal. The commercial would even be even more annoying if Golden liked to show off jewelry, though.

I think that, from a marketing perspective, Helzberg has a better idea with their latest commercial, which is shown below. This is a commercial that is well-designed for its target audience, though it may not be well-designed to it's secondary audience of the women who will be receiving the jewelry.



I can see how this commercial would make some women feel like the man was going through the motions in getting jewelry and also going through the motions in other areas of life. If the jewelry does not make the gift recipient feel special, then it is not a good gift.

So maybe, depending on your perspective, both commercials are rough.

* Note: I modified this post a little to address concerns made in the comments.

4 comments:

T said...

I think the Jared's commercial does make it's point. You learn their name and you know they sell diamonds. So I would say it's a good commercial in that respect. It probably impacts women in a more positive way then men...you can brag if he gets it at Jareds! :)

Helzberg's commercial doesn't appeal to me as a women. I don't want to only feel special by a diamond and it sort of implies that you may not make her feel special on a regular day, so go buy her a diamond and all will be well. (YUK)

My personal fave--

"Every Kiss begins with KAY!"

shakedust said...

That is along the lines of what I thought. I think I am going to modify my post a bit since I was probably too kind to the Helzberg commercial.

What I am thinking, though, is that if that man is the one buying the jewelry the Jared's commercials serve a negative purpose. Maybe the Helzberg commercial has a negative impact as well if the wife/girlfriend finds out why her man chose Helzberg.

There is a lot of psychology that goes into jewelry. What the Jared commercial is essentially saying to men is that diamonds from Jared's equals love, and nothing else does. What it is essentially saying to women is that you shouldn't feel special if your man is stupid enough to buy you a diamond elsewhere (or if he gets you something other than jewelry). I honestly believe this makes the commercial morally questionable at best.

In retrospect, the Helzberg commercial may be brutal on the woman who wants to feel like she is special because of her jewelry. If this is a fantasy that a woman has, then there may be moral issues surrounding the Helzberg commercial as well.

Portland wawa said...

I think you are both right. Selling jewelry is often used as an appeal to the vanity in women and the ego in men. Some men may feel really good about themselves(feed their ego) if they buy a really nice diamond from say Jared, but not all men need to do that. For some women, getting a really nice diamond from say Helzberg would really play to their vain side because they must be special. But not all women. These commercials only reflect a small % of the population, I think.

Achtung BB said...

I can't remember were I bought Wah-Wah's ring. I figure as long as it isn't from Wal-Mart or forged in the fires of Mt.Doom it will be impressive.