Wednesday, December 12, 2007

iced

No, I didn't take the above picture. It is from WikiMedia Commons.

We moved into our house in the summer of 2003, and I still had the ice storm from 2002 fresh in my mind. One of the first things we did was to hire someone to trim the trees in the front yard so that they would survive the next ice storm and not damage the house, cars, etc. With that move, I figured I had covered any major issues we may experience in an ice storm.

On Monday night the power went out on the house for a few minutes, then went back on, then went off, then back on again. This pattern repeated for at least a half hour at random intervals. At this point I realized that there was one thing I really had not accounted for. I did not know what we were going to do if we didn't have electricity for a long period of time.

While our furnace uses natural gas, the fan on the furnace uses electric, so the house would be cold even if the furnace stayed lit. This could be good in that it might keep the food in the fridge from spoiling. It would also be bad, though, because it could cause our pipes to freeze and make life with a seventeen-month-old difficult. While I was lying in bed, I decided that if we lost electricity for an extended time, we would have to find a hotel room in whatever town in the area still had electricity and stay there until we were online again.

I think I overdramatized the situation in my mind because this is a situation I have not dealt with, so I do not really know all the things I am supposed to do if the power goes out. Fortunately, this time it wasn't an issue. I am very glad we don't live in St. Joseph.

8 comments:

Dash said...

Because of the ice storm that Springfield had earlier this year, they seemed to have been prepared for the worst this time - though they didn't get it.

My dad sid that they were setting up emergency shelters and everything.

So far we missed all the ice too. It makes you really apreciate fog and rain.

f o r r e s t said...

The town is a winter wonderland. It sure is pretty.

GoldenSunrise said...

Glad you are thinking ahead for the what if scenerios.

Portland wawa said...

You are quite right that you should be prepared. We weren't prepared when we lived in KC, just hoped it didn't happen.

How bad is it there?

shakedust said...

Some people had power outages, but not nearly as bad as 2002. We just missed the worst of it. From what I could tell, Topeka, Des Moines, Tulsa, and Jefferson City all got worse ice than Kansas City did.

Achtung BB said...

I miss those ice storms. Sure the town was a mess, but it was pretty.

Portland wawa said...

you miss them???
does everyone else think he is crazy?

shakedust said...

Forrest probably agrees with BB. I would prefer to not have to deal with the ice storms.