Saturday, June 30, 2007

new point of view

"I cried because I had no door until I met a man who had no cubicle."- Dilbert (The Joy of Work)
A week and a half ago everyone in my portion of the office moved from one side to the other as part of a move to reduce the physical size of our office. The only problem was that a few things on the new side of the office were not complete, including the planned recarpet of the office that I was supposed to move into.

I was able to work out of an empty makeshift cubicle for a week, and completely move into my new office on Friday. I had been given the option of being in a cubicle near the people on my team or in this interior office, so it is partially my fault that I had to be in limbo for a while.

I am currently torn as to whether my current situation is better or worse than before. The bad part about my move is that the view from my desk is not nearly what it was before (see pictures below) and my office was so in demand before that it was previously used for storage. After a day in my office, though, I am not feeling cut off from anyone else because people visit on the way to and from the bathroom, and there is something indescribably enjoyable about being in a semi-private closed-in workspace.

View From Previous Cubicle:

View From Current Office:

Even if there are drawbacks, I have definitely worked in a lot worse locations. Plus, I should not complain if I have my very own door.

4 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

I'm confused. Did they move you to the basement and did you get to keep you stapler?

shakedust said...

Yeah, and I'm supposed to take care of the roach problem while I am down there as well. :)

I included the pictures because it makes the difference look pretty astounding. Really, part of the mess in that hallway is due to the move and I don't look that way much anyway.

roamingwriter said...

You definitely lost on the view, but a door is handy.

The editor and I kept closing the door on the editing suite and people, amazingly, just kept opening it and interrupting anyway

Unknown said...

I would occasionally lock my door and crank the music. That's something you certainly can't do with a cubicle.

However, I'd take the view (even if it is just a KC parking lot view).