Saturday, June 02, 2007

under construction

This past week I noticed two instances of poor planning in construction around the office.

First, on Thursday as I pulled into the office I noticed some machinery in the parking lot that I assumed was there to reseal part of the parking lot. Fortunately, the area where I usually park was not where everything was set up.

Not much happened in the morning that I could see, but throughout the afternoon I watched as workers drilled trenches into areas of the parking lot for some purpose that I could not deduce. About 3:30 I realized that an entire section of the parking lot was blocked in by the trenches. They were not so deep that people could not drive over them, but they had some black substance in them that looked like a thin layer of tar and they were still not real shallow. Around 4:45 PM the workers filled in the trench with asphalt and people were driving over it within five minutes.

I borrowed a camera phone from a coworker to snap the picture below when it was about 4:30.
Second, throughout the week there has been construction in my office, as new offices are being built and all the walls are getting painted. On either Wednesday or Thursday I headed to the kitchen to grab a grape juice and microwave my lunch. When I got to the kitchen I found that everything in the room had been moved to the center of the room and that someone had just started painting the room. Fortunately, somebody else had already plugged the microwave into an outlet in the hallway, so I was able to heat my lunch outside the kitchen. I found out later that the guy painting that room had literally started half an hour to an hour before lunch. Maybe it was considered a minor enough inconvenience that it wouldn't be a big deal, but I think it would be better to start a job like that after lunch.

What do I know, though? I just work there.

4 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

...not necessarily poor planning.

"the workers filled in the trench with asphalt and people were driving over it within five minutes."

That's quite normal. You can usually drive over asphalt right away.

About your lunch. Construction workers typically work from 7-3 and usually take there lunch around 10:30. Since they are paid hourly and have work to do, they are not too concerned with your lunch hour. Also, they probably don't mind sticking it to the white collar.

T said...

New paint and lunch aren't exactly a fun combo.

shakedust said...

"That's quite normal. You can usually drive over asphalt right away."

Perhaps. I ran over some last summer, though, and had balance problems in my tires that were only fixed by replacing it. It didn't look like anyone had that problem, though.

"Since they are paid hourly and have work to do, they are not too concerned with your lunch hour."

It is not a question of doing the work. It is a question of the order in which to do the work. :)

"Also, they probably don't mind sticking it to the white collar."

Bingo.

Achtung BB said...

Good for those construction workers, sticking it too white collar.