Wednesday, June 06, 2007

window shopping

Often someone will ask my opinion about a technical purchase. It probably makes sense to ask me. I do have something of a clue about what to look for, just probably not as much as some people suppose. This is because I don't like to window shop.

I long ago determined that if I was not going to be purchasing something specific in the near future that it did more harm than good learning all the details about that product. So, if I am not going to buy a sports car in the near future, it is best that I don't spend much time reading about sports cars. If I am not going to be going on a cruise in the near future, I should not read up on cruises. If I don't expect to purchase a ham sandwich in the near—oh, you get it.

All of this means that I generally only read up on stuff like computers, digital cameras, game systems, and so forth every few years. Before I make the purchase I usually read up on what I am planning to buy, but if it has been a while since I made the purchase I will probably know very little about the information requested. The information I have may technically be accurate, but it is probably a little obsolete. My knowledge about features and pricing will be solidly stuck back at the last time I had to make a similar purchase.

I am not telling people not to trust my opinions. I am just saying that even doctors often require a second opinion. It's your money.

2 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

but even doctors read the current medical journals to know what's happening and to better themselves.

Come on dust, you are suppose to know all this stuff. If not you, who do we turn to for computer questions?

Unknown said...

Yeah, Dust. You're my light in the darkness, the water flowing over my waterfall. You can't leave us hanging like that.

Guess it's time to subscribe you to Computer Shopper again. :)