Thursday, June 21, 2007

host, meal thyself

My parents are in town for a few days to see NJ, so Tuesday night Golden and I headed to the grocery store to pick up food for during their stay. This is probably the most intimidating thing for me about having people over to the house.

I am not a good meal planner as is. It is a good thing that Golden generally handles this, because she is much better than me at doing the planning. When my family comes, though, I feel like I should be helping, because I should have picked up on what my family would want to eat at some point in the first eighteen years of my life. I know that there is probably not much expectation, but I do feel like I have some responsibility to at least provide ideas.

Last night, like always, I had plenty of moments where I couldn't remember for the life of me whether my parents liked a certain type of food drink. It was like I hadn't been paying attention at the dinner table my entire life.

Don't let this make you think I am an attentive or even a good host. My role is generally to sit in the living room and be available for conversation. Golden really does all the work. I just provide the nervous energy.

8 comments:

Portland wawa said...

BB's parents intimidate the heck of me ever since he told me they didn't like the first meal I ever cooked. I never even lived with my Dad, but he seems happy with anything I cook when he comes over.
But your parents don't seem like the picky type.

f o r r e s t said...

Oh goodness, of all the things to fret about...

Make what you like to eat and are comfortable making. do they really want to visit you and be expected to eat the same things that they have at home.

Achtung BB said...

Personally, I prefer to stay out by the grill, that way I can't be blamed for anything accept the meat.

shakedust said...

Yeah, they're not picky and Golden does a good job picking meals. I just am bad at picking meals, but feel some responsibility to provide good ideas.

My mom made lunch today because she had brought the ingredients for chicken noodle soup (long story) and we went to Oklahoma Joe's for supper. I had the Z-man for the first time. It was good, but I think I prefer a beef and/or pork sandwich without the provalone.

roamingwriter said...

We keep having guests we've never met before. How do you plan for that? I think of things my friends don't eat, like nuts or mushrooms and try to avoid that stuff. Then there's allergies and health issues. At some point you just give up and cook.

T said...

I usually try to have options with less ingredients unless I've asked people ahead of time. That keeps it more simple and easier to handle allergies and picky eaters.

shakedust said...

Well, my parents just left and they paid for almost all the meals. I'm thankful that they would do that, but they should not feel like they need to when they are visiting us.

GoldenSunrise said...

We didn't even use the two main supper meals that I bought--a roast and lasagna. Oh well.