Monday, June 11, 2007

the time sink

A while back Golden was reading about how to be efficient with time. The recommendation was to avoid "time sinks," which are things that take a lot of time but don't accomplish much of anything. For example, watching a TV show every day at a time when you can be doing something more productive makes that TV show a time sink in your schedule.

I understand why a person should avoid time sink activities, but almost everything I like doing is a time sink. One of the things that I value the most is when I have the privilege of establishing the specific time sinks for my schedule. My weekend movies spring to mind as my biggest time sink, though at other times my time sinks have been video games or books.

Lately, I have been noticing that another time sink has appeared in our schedules. It is amazing how easily NJ can make three evening hours just disappear. I don't do half of what Golden does with NJ, yet he still has this impact on me. The impact has to be even more dramatic on Golden.

This is not a complaint, but rather an observation. I have been thinking lately about how frequently I ask myself how it is already 9 or 10 PM when I have hardly done anything yet.

I am thinking that if I can get NJ interested in a time sink activity of his own, maybe he won't require as much time and effort to entertain. I wonder how old he needs to be before he can maintain his own blog.

6 comments:

T said...

Time sink activities. I have a few of those! :) I don't see NJ as the type to fall trap to time sink things, he's a mover and shaker and mover and shakers almost always achieve something while sinking time. How annoying! :)

GoldenSunrise said...

Apparantly, the Einstein video was a good time sink for NJ today. Dust stayed home with him today and the video was a good babysitter.

Dash said...

While compiling a portfolio of sample material for job applications, I noticed a Time Management seminar I put together a few years ago. It's a pretty generic program, reviewing several strategies that have been presented over time as the latest fad emerged.

The Organized Executive (1974) had nothing to do with anything that took place outside of your meticulously labled desk calendar -or anything at home for that matter.

The "Time Sink" sounds a lot like like the old Urgency/Importance quadrant model section: Non-Urgent & Non Important. This was part of the old Franklin course on how to use the ABC prioritization method in their planneers. This eay of thinking leads to urgency overload and obsession with multiple-colored pens and planner accessories ... but isn't all that good for well being.

Stephen Covey (7 Habits of Highly Effective People) would have said to do "First things First". And tell you to fill up your time bucket with the important "Big Rocks" first before adding in all the little stuff that wastes your time. Since NJ is a certainly a Big Rock in your life. This means feeling incredibly guilty any time you cross out a play-time in your to-do list.

Since Franklin and Covey have since merged into one accessory and guilt churning mega-planning mega-corporation, you can now feel completely conflicted and pay someone to tell you how to do it using new web-enabled tools.

f o r r e s t said...

Hopefully the kid won't demand too much time from you so that you can carry on with the important things in life, like blogging.

shakedust said...

I'm glad someone understands. :)

roamingwriter said...

I think my editing experience the last two weeks have been a time sink. I sit and watch a young editor try to figure out a program she hasn't used very much. Does that qualify?! Though - I didn't choose this one!