Thursday, June 07, 2007

performance and composition

I took piano lessons for several years. I played around with the guitar for a while as well. It has been so long since I seriously played that I don't think I could just pick up either instrument and play. In retrospect, I think that I would have been more successful in sticking with music had I focused on writing music more than playing it. I didn't realize that at the time, though.

I have played in several recitals and church functions and I have accrued a number of horror stories of performances only a mother could love. Sometimes the problem is nerves. I don't know that is all it is, though. I don't think I care enough about people hearing me play to put the necessary effort into perfecting my performance.

I always figured it would be helpful to know an instrument for things like church or entertainment, but I didn't really count on the fact that I am not a performer. I don't really know why, but I do a lot better creating things than performing them. I am a horrible actor and a subpar singer, but I wouldn't mind writing a story or a song.

I think this attitude influences my opinions about entertainment, specifically the movies I like. I don't usually notice it when an actor or actress has a spectacular performance. I do sometimes notice if an actor is exceedingly bad, but not always. I almost always notice the storylines that I think are well-written and the ones that are poorly written.

When movie awards are handed out, I usually don't have a strong opinion about who should get best actor or actress. In fact it seems a waste of time to me. I do care about things like the best screenplay. I (probably wrongly) think that actors are a dime a dozen, but a good story is difficult to find.

I know that I am probably just rationalizing why the people who are more like me are better than people who are not like me. What else is new? Everybody does it. At least I composed a post about it.

4 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

I have always had a theory about the best actor/actress award going to the person who plays a role of a mentally handicap or one with autism or when a pretty person plays an ugly person or so on. There are certain roles like that that you know the person is going for an Oscar.

I am not alone.

There was an episode of Extras (BBC, Ricky Gervais) where Kate Winslet (who plays herself and has never won an oscar)takes on this challenging role as a nun. When asked about the subject matter and if it his close to her heart by one of the extras, she's like "no, I'm just doing this to get an oscar" and then she rails on about the theory and names all the movies and actors who fit that discription.

GoldenSunrise said...

You should definitely write a story or a song then. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

I think actors/actresses who are lucky enough to get a "moving" storyline receive Oscars. Example: Julia Roberts with "Erin Brockivich" sp?

windarkwingod said...

I had to practive peiano for one and a half hours when I was growing up. In my young mind I was a failure for not composing a concerto by my 13th birthday HA! Dude, I should win an Oscar for that.

T said...

I like well written story lines. I am not a writer. I like good actors/actresses that don't seem to play the same character all the time. I am not an actor. Maybe I can be free to like more things having such limited talent myself! :)