Thursday, June 28, 2007

word

I witnessed two incidents involving people not knowing the definitions to specific words this week.

Bobcat
I got my hair cut on Tuesday at a barber shop where three or four barbers work. Usually when I get my hair cut I am good for about five to ten minutes of conversation, then I and the barber give up on trying to push the small talk any further. During this time, I can hear some of the other conversations going on around me.

Some guy behind me was telling his barber about how a Bobcat at work had been stolen because it was left in an unlocked container a few years ago. A year or two later the company purchased another Bobcat and when it went in for maintenance yet another year later, they found out that they had purchased back the exact Bobcat that had been stolen.

The barber sounded confused about some elements of the story, then made reference to owning a wild animal. Apparently, he had never heard of a Bobcat skid loader before.

Hubris
I have mentioned before that a few of the guys at work keep up with a "Word of the Day" daily calendar. It helps increase our vocabulary, but more importantly it provides common topics of discussion and debate.

One that we tore off the calendar yesterday is "hubris." I have come across this word often, which I assume means that it shows up in journalism quite a bit, because that is what most of my recent reading has been. Since I have read the word so frequently as of late, I made the statement that this is one of those words that everyone knows, but it sounds like a word that no one knows. I was challenged on the idea that almost everyone knew the meaning to the word, and a quick poll around the office showed that only four out of eleven people could recall the definition without any context clues. A couple of people said they could get it if the question was multiple choice. One of the four voluntarily provided the etymology.

Without looking the word up, do you know what it means? I will provide a definition later if someone hasn't already provided it.

11 comments:

Portland wawa said...

Humm. Is it a criminal act or an act of hatred?

shakedust said...

It could be indirectly related to a criminal act, and I think some contexts may make it sound like that is the correct definition. It's not quite right, though.

RDW said...

I'm pretty sure it means something like "foolish or reckless courage" or, if you have any Jewish background, "chutzpah."

I'd like some help with pronunciation, though, since I read it way more than I hear it. Is it literally, "HUE-BRISS"?

shakedust said...

That is pretty close. Close enough that I will provide the definition from the calendar now.

"Exaggerated pride or self-confidence."

shakedust said...

Oh yeah, and that is how it is pronounced. Forgot to reply to that.

Achtung BB said...

When I think of a barber, I think of some old guy cutting older men's hair. I think they go by "hair stylist." I don't think there are a lot of actual barbers left.
Since I always lose in Scrabble and have a second grade vocabulary, I have no clue what "Hubris" means. Is it something that you spread on toast?

shakedust said...

It sounds like I am describing a hair stylist, but I think this guy was technically a barber. The average age of the barbers in this shop is probably fifty-five to sixty.

Look at the comment two before yours for the definition. :)

windarkwingod said...

Barber's here in Spain have alot of Hubris. They gesture to each other and argue and step outside to look at a girl's bottom even if they are in the middle of razoring the stubble from the top of your ear...

f o r r e s t said...

Both Hubris and Bobcat could be someones name.

BTW, I loathe blogger's word verification. I always have to type it in twice. I urge you to disable it and see if you get any spam. I no longer get spam.

GoldenSunrise said...

Hubris makes me think of debris because they both end with -bris. Then I thought maybe a plural hub.

I think sometimes I have a 2nd grade vocab, too BB.

roamingwriter said...

I was nearly right - but I always need to see words in context to really feel strong about the definition.