Thursday, May 31, 2007

buhhh dee

When I was younger I remember adults using nicknames for me like "champ" or "sport" or "bud" or something of that nature. This did two things. First, I assume the names were meant to be somewhat endearing. Second, and most important, the names asserted that I held a diminutive role in that relationship. This was not a big deal when I was a kid. In fact, I use "kiddo" with NJ now because my dad used that phrase with me. That name didn't bother me, so I figure it won't bother NJ. As I have grown up, though, I have become more and more annoyed at the people who use these terms with me. It does not happen real often, but there are not many situations where it doesn't bother me when it does occur.

I have noticed that people who are significantly taller or more athletic than me are likely to refer to me with a name like "bud." I should probably consider that a good thing, since it is short for "buddy," but I always get the feeling that the word is meant to be used in a mildly patronizing way. I can't think of a scenario where guys who see each other as equals refer to each other as "bud" so long as that is not one of their first names. Maybe "dude," but not "bud."

A few months ago some girl cashier who couldn't have been older than me referred to me as "hon" in the same way I might expect a woman in her sixties to do so. Again, this bothered me a little because to me that is a term that in my mind is used in a grandmotherly or motherly manner. It is not something I expect to hear from a cashier who is my age. I know it's a minor issue, but it stuck out.

Let me clarify that most of my frustration comes from the fact that I simply dislike people whom I consider equals using terms that I think put the speaker on some sort of higher plane from the audience (me). Generally speaking, the terms are fine for people much older than me because they have more life experience, wisdom, etc. I just don't like being called "champ" by someone who graduated after I did.

I am also a little uncomfortable with terms that put people at a lower level than me, such as "sir." That is a little different, though, because the person choosing to use the word is not putting himself or herself on a higher level than someone else. Most of the reason I even care about this is that I have this feeling that the people who like to be called "sir" are the ones who really do believe they are better than those who are serving them.

I can already hear the first question people are likely to ask. What should people call me if they forget my name, or don't know it, for whatever reason? I have always responded to, "Hey you!" Failing that, though, you can call me Dust Prime.

6 comments:

T said...

I think this, like many other things in life that we form opinions of, is something that is subject to environment.

Dash would probably never call you "bud" to your face, but often when he and his dad are talking they refer to their friends or peers as "buddy." Example: "My buddy Charles is probably taking that role now." or "One of my buddies from Thursday night, Drew and his wife, had us over for BBQ." In return, his dad does the same, "My buddy came over and we went to the store."

It's their way of referencing that this person isn't family, but is someone that I am close too, or hang out with.

We are passing the tradition on without even thinking about it, when cman's talking we'll reference his friends as "He's got a buddy that he plays with sometimes..."

I've always considered the word more of a term of endearment between men. Girls, just say "My girlfriend" and no one thinks anything of it. Boys and men are different.

In the same respect, I see "sir" as a word of respect. When Cman gets me something or does something for me, I tend to say "Thank you sir." I say "Thank you mam" to N. I do this to build them up and let them know that the action they are taking is something that is respectable and appreciated on a higher level then just "good job kid" and to reinforce that it's an action that they should continue for others and not do, just for mom or dad, but for everyone. I even say "thank you sir" to dash when he holds doors for me. It's just my way of recognizing that this man is being a gentleman.

When a waitress I often did the sir or mam thing because I do not like "Hun or sweetie" and felt that it showed the people respect that I was serving.

I have a big thing on words of respect. I still call a former professor "Dr. W" even though even when I had him in class he states he is "Denny." I told him, it's not to be offensive, I just can't put myself on your level because I respect you too much!" He often smiled back and said "T, you should call me Denny." But he didn't push it because he knew I respected him and my reference to him as "Dr. W" was instinctive because of the role he played in my life.

shakedust said...

In my experience, "buddy" is better than "bud." I might have taken that too far, though, because at least one other person has informed me that he uses "bud" with specific friends. It may be a contextual thing, and perhaps I am misinterpreting. As with most communication, it has more to do with the way it is said than with the words themselves, which is something I neglected to address.

I have also always been careful to use people's proper titles because I know a lot of people prefer that respect. I have also used "sir" and "ma'am" in customer service roles, but I just always feel a little weird with people calling me "sir." I have been called "ma'am" as well, but that is way off topic. :)

We will be teaching NJ to be respectful because that is important. I don't yet know what all that will entail.

Achtung BB said...

I get called "guy" a lot when people forget my name. I kind of hate that. I wish they would just admit they forgot my name.

T said...

I wasn't trying to correct you, just give my own perspective from my experience. I have never thought about it bothering someone that I called them sir and I certainly wouldn't want a friend to be bugged if I called them buddy. I guess I never gave it much thought that what I thought was a good thing, they don't like! :)

GoldenSunrise said...

Jason and Josh, my brother and his best friend, call each other "buddy" all the time.

I think the tone of voice is key.

f o r r e s t said...

I think you tend to overanalyze these things. The people who use these words do it on a universal level and not so that they can pick you out as a way to demean your worth.

I use 'bud' all the time with my friends. "hey Bud, what's up?"