Saturday, November 04, 2006

your cheatin' heart

Cheating is a big deal in graduate programs. Especially MBA programs. At least that is what a recent article I read at Yahoo Finance says. According to some study MBA students are more likely than any other types of students to cheat, and over half admit to having cheated at some point in the last year.

Normally something like that wouldn't phase me, but it really stuck out now that I am in an MBA program. Are half of the people I am taking classes with really cheating? Also, why is an MBA program more likely to create or attract cheaters? I have a few theories about this.

A lot of the people I take classes with are getting their education paid by their companies so long as they keep up the grades. In some other programs people may be more likely foot the bill themselves. When a grade impacts a person financially, that probably encourages cheating.

A lot of people who are naturally greedy and competitive are probably drawn to the MBA because high-paying, executive-level jobs require an MBA. While being an executive does not mean you are greedy and competitive, being greedy and competitive certainly makes an being an executive appealing.

I think that MBA programs have a wider variety of classes than most programs, so most students will run into at least one class that is challenging. Accounting is different from Marketing, which is different from Organizational Behavior, which is different from Finance, which is different from...

In short, even though I know it was a good decision, it makes me think twice about the degree I chose to pursue. I don't currently have the desire to be a high powered executive. I really just want to more efficiently be able to take advantage of my strengths than I currently am and be able to retain a job through any future dips in the job market so I can better support my family. In the middle of all this I have to ask myself a simple question. Is it true that nice guys finish last?

3 comments:

T said...

Cheating huh? Well, maybe the MBA students are the only ones who were willing to admit that they cheated, maybe the ratio is really the same in all programs. :) That makes it all better, right?!

shakedust said...

Perhaps. :)

roamingwriter said...

It's funny that somehow fits for my stereotype of MBAs too. I know it's just that - a stereostype- but you do think of the cut throat exec who only cares about the bottom line and looking good on financial reports, no matter how. I'm sure that's not a universal truth!