Wednesday, November 29, 2006

visit - thanksgiving pt 2

Each post this week is in regard to a specific event surrounding my Thanksgiving break. This is post two in the series.

On Friday we visited my grandmother's house so she could see NJ for the first time in three months. He has grown quite a bit since then.

We really did not have the opportunity to visit my grandmother on Thanksgiving day, but from the sound of things, there wouldn't have physically been room anyway. She lives in a small house, and she had more than twenty people in it on Thursday. Crazy.

The real point of the post isn't about this visit in particular, but in the culture of my grandmother versus my culture. I believe T has mentioned something like this about her family once. My grandmother comes from an environment where you just show up at someone's house, sit down and talk, then eat if it is a meal time. No warning phone call is even required.

Knowing something of what was and wasn't required, I called on Friday morning and said we would be there in two to three hours. This was going above and beyond. About ten minutes after we arrived at my grandmother's house her brother and his wife arrived in what I presume was an unannounced visit. They stayed for about an hour to talk then left to visit other family.

It wasn't a bad visit, but I have to say that if I was in that culture it would drive me batty. I do not handle last minute schedule changes well, so I would be continually frustrated. I prefer to know in advance what is happening. That's just one more reason I'm glad I wasn't born fifty years earlier.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the culture of that was cultivated in rural areas because it's only been in the past 20 years or so that EVERYBODY had phones all the time, so the only option you had was to drop in on people. Dash doesn't understand/like this concept at all.

Anonymous said...

You're lucky... if it was 50 years ago I would have dropped in for awhile until I got a dinner out of it.

Achtung BB said...

I think it is Ok to do something spur of the moment, but I wouldn't want some one just stopping by unannouced. But I would have to agree with Windarkwingod, showing up until you get food would be cool. Something looks different about Windarkwingod but I can't say for sure

GoldenSunrise said...

Doing something the spur of the moment is different than dropping by someone's house spur of the moment.

Nice beard Dar. And $20 bill.

Anonymous said...

It was hot here without A/C our first summer. Many families would visit by sitting in the shade on the sofa with all the windows open. They were nice long visits (sometimes no conversation took place at all...)

roamingwriter said...

The dropping by unannounced thing doesn't bother me. There are things from 50 years ago I wouldn't like though. Personally a drop by visit takes all the pressure off. I don't have to prepare...it just happens. So ya'll just come by.