Wednesday, November 01, 2006

early voting

Election day this year is on November 7. This is a problem for me because I never vote before work and I have class after work that day. So, this past weekend I decided to vote early. One of the early voting locations is not far from my house, so it made total sense to go early this time around.

The night before, I did as much investigation as I could online about the people running for office that I could. The problem is the people running for local positions did not always have much information online about their positions and leadership philosophies. I did what I could, though.

I expected that when I got to the voting location that there would be a wide variety of ages. I know that older people tend to vote more, but I figured on a Saturday more younger (working age) people would show. There weren't too many people there, but the seniors still outnumbered everyone else.

When I got to the voting booth, a man there in his seventies explained how to use the electronic voting systems to me. I am not used to being on the receiving end of that lecture.

Since I had investigated this all ahead of time, I knew how I was going to vote on every race but one. Either I missed the information online or the Johnson County Elections website didn't have our district county commissioner race listed. Anyway, since I didn't know anything about the race I just didn't vote for it. I'd like to think I am better than to vote for someone because I recognize his or her name instead of his or her policies, so I got a tad bit arrogant about this for a few seconds before I realized how ridiculous the arrogance was.

Finally, even though I cannot vote any more I still have to suffer through another week of political ads along with everyone else. I wish there was a way to filter those out completely. I am sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

5 comments:

T said...

Even though 98% of what I watch is on PVR so I can fast forward through the commercials, there's still that 2% and I think ALL the political commercials are on then! Now if only they would STOP calling our house and dash's cell phone!

GoldenSunrise said...

I need to investigate the people too, only to be fair. I will probably do my usual straight Republican ticket, though. Yep, I am one of those.

Anonymous said...

You inspired me. I went online today and looked up the issues that'll be up for vote here. So far I've only gotten through the state issues, though. Now I need to look at the candidates and the local issues.

I think I'm going to be voting on election day. I'm not sure where the early voting places are here.

Achtung BB said...

It would be nice if everyone had all the info before they voted

roamingwriter said...

We voted by fax. Fortunately we missed all the ads! Did online investigation, and asked my mom what she'd heard about people.