Thursday, November 02, 2006

school for the gifted

Last Saturday night Golden briefly pushed rather than pulled on a door (or vice versa) at the church. It was very quick, but I still had time to tease her about the Midvale School for the Gifted Far Side comic.

Yesterday I got my payback. I was going down the elevator to leave work with someone I didn't know who was trying to get a conversation going. When the door opened he was sure to say, "You first," so I had him at my back as a I approached the exterior doors. I wasn't thinking and so I pulled on one of the doors to get out. "This is strange," I thought. "Why would they lock this door from the inside." After I tried the other one, the guy behind me reminded me that these doors are meant to be pushed.

I am thinking about making a paper bag over my head part of my normal attire to work now.

4 comments:

windarkwingod said...

Dust-
I am SO Special Needs here. Culture and langauge barrier not withstanding....

GoldenSunrise said...

It happens to the best of us. It makes for a good laugh.

roamingwriter said...

Yes, don't you love that sort of panic moment...I can't open the door! Oh...

Jadee said...

That happens to me all the time at my new job...because all of our doors are locked for security reasons...so there is a metal lever on the insides of the doors to get out. ALL of them are made to PUSH...along with the door being pushed open. EXCEPT for the one that leaves the office to the hallway...its a PULL lever...for safety in case we are ever robbed. So this door is right in front of the office....and one of our managers is a smart mouth like me...and has to give me grief every time!!!!

So I started leaving the office by the backdoor...even though it means taking two doors to get to the hallway...LOL!!!