Thursday, November 09, 2006

arachnophobia

As I was watching a special on scorpions this past weekend I was reminded about my fascination and phobia of creepy crawly things.

I think it might be kind of a guy thing, but spiders, scorpions, and insects are very interesting to me. The shapes, textures, and movements of these animals intrigue me, and I often stop on the Animal Planet or National Geographic channels to watch documentaries on them.

While I am watching a show on a bug of some sort, though, I have a habit of thinking that what I am watching on the TV is crawling up my leg or moving across my arm. I go from looking like a normal human being (relatively speaking) to looking like someone who just rubbed poison ivy all over his body.

It doesn't help that I have some mild arachnophobic tendencies. Golden kills more spiders and insects in our house than I do because she is a little braver around them. I can usually deal if I have to, but I very much prefer not to have to.

If we had something more serious like a scorpion I don't know what we'd do. Scream, maybe?

5 comments:

T said...

Your wife is very nice to you. I make dash take care of stuff like that. :)

GoldenSunrise said...

Bugs tick me off. I get mad when I see one and I kill it. No anger issues here. : )

We don't have a cat anymore to kill and eat them. There are these grasshopper looking things all over the house!!

Dash said...

I really enjoy watching nature channel shows on spiders, snakes, and all kinds of creepy things.

... but get on on this side of the glass - and I'm running for the other side of the room.

Achtung BB said...

I remember you told me about a giant wolf spider in your bathroom at the old apartments. It's a share you didn't get a picture

roamingwriter said...

I totally get the creepy crawlies if I see anything in the house (like the poison ivy you describe). For this reason I don't watch the TV shows.