Saturday, November 11, 2006

she's a catch

A while back Golden informed me that she first determined how strong of feelings she had for me was when we saw Titanic and I got sea sick. (Yeah, yeah. You can stop laughing at me now.) For a while I have had a hard time focusing on a specific moment where I decided this about her. I didn't really have a eureka moment, but rather slowly got to like her more as I got to know her more. In my pondering, one event did stick out as the point when I determined Golden was a good catch, though.

I have always liked humor, so when I was first exposed to the Internet I used it largely to find jokes. My first Internet connection was my freshman year in college, so this is when most of my joke searching occurred. At this time I found a story (you can read it here) about a scenario where a guy and girl who have been dating are on a completely different page. She says something about their relationship and thinks he is thinking about what she said which causes herself to obsess about it and confuse him. You need to read it to understand if you've never heard it before.

Anyway, I showed this to a guy on my floor who liked it enough to print it out and go around the dorm reading it to random people, most of whom were girls. Rather than laugh, most of the girls would lightly chuckle then, in all seriousness, complain about how that story is so true because guys are so clueless. They seemed to be of the opinion that guys should think exactly the same way women do, and any inability to do so is somehow the guy's fault. Golden was the only girl who heard the joke who I saw react differently.

When Golden heard the story her first reaction was to say, "Yeah, a lot of women are like that." It was that night that I determined that she was in a minority of girls who didn't automatically blame the guy for communication issues. To me, that was the sign of someone who would approach a relationship with some realism rather than in search of a fantasy world. She didn't know it at the time, but she won me over with that comment.

The rest is history.

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

Let me get this straight, you got sea sick watching Titanic?

That's good that Golden understands that communication is a two way street

T said...

I think that sums up men and women both pretty well! :)

GoldenSunrise said...

"You already won me over in spite of me" -Alanis Morissette

roamingwriter said...

I think it's a cop out to assume all guys are "fill in the blank" or all girls are "fill in the blank". Though I've been guilty of having those type of conversations!