Monday, November 13, 2006

drokes

In my office a joke that might typically come from me is called a droke. I don't have to have told the joke for it to be a droke. I just have to have told similar jokes in the past.

Drokes are typically classified as Type 1 (puns) or Type 2 (subtle humor). I am willing to accept this classification. I am not willing to accept the further narrowing that some others have done to subtype A (unfunny) and subtype B (funny). If a joke is not funny or clever it is not a droke. Case closed.

These classifications have been established by a few people who claim to be on the self-appointed droke classification committee, whose only rule seems to be that I cannot be a part in the decision making of the committee. I think I need to take a page from Calvin and Hobbe's book and create the Get Rid Of Slimy commiteeS club. That's neither here nor there, though.

A week or two ago I decided to create a Venn diagram of drokes on a markerboard at work because I am a geek and I wanted to accurately depict the occasionally maligned drokes. My representation is captured below.
At least 99% of drokes are either funny or clever or both. Some puns are included in drokes, but not unless they are funny or clever. There is no such thing as a "1A" droke.

The committee, not to be outdone, created their own Venn diagram which they call "official." As official as a self-appointed committee can make a diagram, I guess. The diagram is a little prettier, but I do not believe it depicts reality nearly as closely. You can see for yourself below. The commitee did come up with a good thought that I hadn't considered, but botched it. They determined that a funny, subtle pun could be considered a "golden droke." The golden droke concept is spectacular, but this definition ignores the fact that every droke is a golden droke. Proof positive not to trust in the work of a committee.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't read all of the words on the second picture. Could you type what it says?

You've had a long history of people naming your jokes after you. Somehow when I use that kind of humor, people at work tell me I'm cheesy. Yet YOU get your own genre of humor named after you. Just doesn't seem fair. :oP The younger siblings are always more oppressed.

f o r r e s t said...

Naming jokes after Dust is a polite way of saying his jokes are cheesy.

GoldenSunrise said...

Yep, you called it Forrest.

Does the cheese factor have to do with being raised in a strict household? Those were the only jokes allowed?

shakedust said...

I don't know that it was meant to be polite, actually. :-/

Achtung BB said...

I've always liked your drokes. Now they have a name

roamingwriter said...

Can I just say diagraming a hypothetical joke genre has got to be the epitome of geekdom!? : ) Can you say techie?