Wednesday, November 15, 2006

frosty reception

There are a multitude of reasons that I don't like cold weather, but one of the worst is something I experience many, if not most, weekday mornings from November to March.

Since we only have one garage and Golden's car is the only one that fits, my car sits on the side of the road overnight. The next morning I very often find that Jack Frost has visited. At this time of year, there is a chance that it is just dew, so I often say a quick prayer on the walk from the house to the car that the coating I see on the car will wipe away.

It doesn't seem like a big deal, but I hate having to scrape the car. It is a cold and wet process, I am usually having to compromise on either doing an incomplete job or going slowly, and I usually haven't allotted enough time to just start the car and let it warm up. As BB learned, leaving the car running may be kind of risky, anyway.

To all those people who get to store their cars in a garage away from nightly ice accumulation, be thankful. But for the grace of God, there scrape you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even after BBs blog, I still try to alot time to start it up and let it defrost, but I am more cautious with this and try to still be where I can see the drive while it's running. I don't know which I dislike more, having to scrape or getting into a cold vehicle?

Dash said...

T tries to make sure she can see the warming vehicle so that she will be able to wave at whoever is stealing it as they drive off.

f o r r e s t said...

[It is a cold and wet process]

It is cold, but wet??? What are you doing to make it wet? That is probably part of your problem.

I thought you'd bee a bit more tough about the cold weather rituals coming from N. Dakota.

GoldenSunrise said...

I have started Dust's car before to let it defrost.

I can still do that if you aren't afraid of someone stealing it.

shakedust said...

I got a chuckle out of imagining T waving at someone driving off with the car. :)

It's a wet process because, if the car is frosty enough, it gets to flying all over the place while I hack at my windshield.

f o r r e s t said...

Oh dear!
Somethings are best kept to oneself.

Achtung BB said...

No frost in Oregon yet. Just nonstop rain

roamingwriter said...

Try walking to work...well, guess that solves nothing. Still cold and could be still wet. I hate to scrape too. Generally I do the peek hole version and then feel guilty that I am unsafe.