Wednesday, August 02, 2006

vote for me

Yesterday was primary election day in Kansas. I know I probably should have voted, but I didn't have the opportunity to investigate the politician's stances and histories like I would have liked. I just didn't feel comfortable casting a vote without doing a more thorough investigation. I will vote in November, though.

One of the biggest reasons that I am relieved about the primaries being over is that I will get a reprieve from the automated phone calls we have been receiving. We have gotten between five and eight recorded political calls a day for a short stretch. I know this is a situation where the person who gets their name out the most will probably win, but this has to stop somewhere. In future years I'll think twice about scheduling time at home immediately before election day.

Why is it that adding my name to the FTC's "Do Not Call" list keeps companies from calling me about switching my long distance, but political organizations are able to slip through some loophole and leave me message after message? Again, I know this is probably a situation where if you don't do it and your opponent does, you have probably seriously damaged your election prospects. If no one was permitted to take these tactics, though, then I wouldn't have to be checking my caller ID eight times a day.

3 comments:

T said...

I have a theory. The more you call the less votes you get. I am sure there's a balance where the first call may not effect people so much. But we got the same guy calling dash's cell phone and our house over and over last election.

He lost which surprised a lot of people. I think he lost because people like me didn't vote for him because his campaign harrassed us so much. When they called me at 6 the night of the election, I told them that too! I told them that they would have had my vote, but when I had voted that day they did not get it because of all the phone calls.

f o r r e s t said...

*

windarkwingod said...

You have identified a major free-speech issue. Who has the freedom to attempt to begin a dialogue with you, and can they use your property to do so? But the phone lines are not your property, but your phone is... funny interpretations abound!