Thursday, August 10, 2006

cc

Since NJ was born several little things in our lives have changed. Everything we do now has to have him in mind. Aside from having to pause the TV every thirty minutes to an hour, we have also started using closed captioning so we don't miss anything while he cries. Using closed captioning used to be unbearably annoying. I used to think it required too much attention. Now I view it as a life saver.

There are a few things I still find annoying. The text sometimes covers an important part of the screen. There are a lot of typos. The text often lags the programming. All in all, though, I'm thankful.

Now, if we could temporarily mute NJ and set his cries to closed captioning. I'm sure we'd get more sleep. For now, all we have is a baby swing and a prayer.

6 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I noticed that the cc abbreviates words in weird places.

T said...

I dislike cc very much. Dash uses it a lot. He has however figured out that live shows lag behind at such a rate that he doesn't use it for live shows.

He mostly uses it for movies or tv shows that have cc preprogrammed. They don't have as many typos but occasionally I will catch that I heard a different word then what was typed! Which tells me someone when off script or it was changed after the captioning people got it! :)

roamingwriter said...

I like to use Spanish subtitles when I watch a movie in English to see how they phrase things. Sometimes completely off, but usually I'm learning. Sadly the other day I watched a movie with such heavy Aussie accents I wanted English subtitles but because I bought the movie here they weren't available - only Spanish!

f o r r e s t said...

-

f o r r e s t said...

"if we could temporarily mute NJ and set his cries to closed captioning."

Have you tried shaking? A lot of parents use this technique.

shakedust said...

Anyone who noticed that this post was closed captioned, raise your hand.