Monday, August 21, 2006

back to school

Tomorrow is my first day back at KU for the school year. I anticipate that this semester will be among the most difficult of all my semesters. This is not completely because of the content, but because Golden and I are still adjusting to the impact that NJ has on our lives, and me going to school two nights out of the week and doing homework does not bode well. I know we can survive, though.

The three main classes that I am taking this semester (besides a four-week simple lecture course) are Statistics, Accounting, and Finance. This brings me to the topic of math, since all three of these subjects involve numbers.

When I was growing up I was pretty good in math. It made sense. As I got into high school I was less good in math. This may surprise some of my audience.

The main problem is that a lot of the more complicated math is taught as a series of steps to memorize rather than a logical representation of how to get from point A to point B. If I am given the reason why a formula structured the way it is what the practical value of what I am learning is it generally sticks. Otherwise I tend to memorize long enough to pass a test. This is why I am relatively good at problems that rely on logical deduction, but I don't do as well on problems that require me to have memorized information ahead of time.

Here's hoping I get the background information for everything I need in Stats. I have less hope about Finance. I have no hope with Accounting.

8 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

It's just business math - it shouldn't be that hard.

GoldenSunrise said...

Yeah, looking at your Accounting pages it looks like an overview. You can do it.

T said...

Just take a deep breath and think to yourself. How do credits and debits relate to one another? Are they indifferent or ambivalent? Which one is the introvert? You'll do great! :)

f o r r e s t said...

That was funny, T!

Dash said...

You'll have mastered everything you need to know for those classes once you can explain how the following numbers relate to each other: 4 8 15 16 23 42

shakedust said...

T, what if I don't want to commit on my answer?

Dash, I don't think we're ever going to be told how the numbers relate to each other. J.J. Abrams is all about not answering all the questions he introduces. It keeps people coming back for more.

f o r r e s t said...

Well, we do have some answers to that number, but is it THE answer?

roamingwriter said...

That sounds like a semester from hades for this non math person. Good thing you've got Golden for the accounting stuff! I'm sure it'll go well for a brainy erson like you.