Wednesday, August 30, 2006

the double bind

I hate having to make decisions when all options are less than ideal. I am sure most people are like that. I wrote the following poem in one of my more cynical moments a while back and decided against brightening it up later. It is meant to be pessimistic and it will stay that way. This is not about any specific situation, so don't read too much into it. It's just about bad situations in general.
Cursed if I do
Blocked if I don't
Bad if I will
Worse if I won't

Whatever choice
Whatever plan
I do commit
I show my hand

It will be wrong
Not ever right
Cause that's the lot
I cast tonight

I thought it through
I worked real hard
Doesn't matter
It's in the cards

When I decide
To not decide
It's then I find
That's no free ride

Cursed when I do
Blocked when I don't
Bad when I will
Worse when I won't

4 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

sounds like a real pickle.

I like the flow of this poem. I don't know a lot about poetry, but this was fun to read.

roamingwriter said...

I like the flow as well as the sentiment. Been there many times. And I can think of a particular situation that will always put me there again, and again...

GoldenSunrise said...

It is well written. I like it.

Traveling choices with an infant is one of those decisions. : )

T said...

I guess we all have decisions/choices in life that are less then ideal at some point. That makes this poem relatable to basically everyone even the the grandest optimist! :)