Thursday, August 03, 2006

one-armed olympics

In Lady in the Water there is a character who works out the right half of his body but not the left. He claims it is some kind of scientific experiment he is running. Now that Golden and I are frequently holding the baby to calm him down, transport him, or to do whatever, we have been learning to do things with one arm or hand that we would normally do with two. I feel kind of like that character.

Need to make a snack? Cart the kid around the kitchen in one arm, and put together a sandwich with the other. Need to type something on the computer? Hunt and peck with one hand. Need to take a drive? Imitate Britney Spears. Okay, I don't do the last one because I'm more innocent than her.

If I were a more poised I might be mastering doing things with one hand by now. Not me, though. I still drop things or avoid attempting stuff that seems a little too complex. So, if you need me to lend you a hand some time, I might be able to oblige with the one. NJ needs the other one, though.

12 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

good luck with that one arm. you'll get the hang of it soon enough, because all the other parents who came before you have adapted quite well. Some with two kids in their arm walking up hill in snow - no they were shovelling snow, uphill with two kids in their arms - and they didn't even have a blog to share there experience with others who experience that same normality.

Does the right arm or left arm work better for you?

shakedust said...

I didn't realize how good I had it. :)

I usually hold him in the left and do stuff with the right. I am much better at manuevering my right arm.

f o r r e s t said...

I got lots of practice from bringing in the groceries - how man bags can i loop in one arm and still get the keys out of my pocket to unlock the door?

shakedust said...

Any more, I get the keys out before I start looping too many bags over the arm. I had the same complication.

f o r r e s t said...

Yeah, that's the smart thing to do. The unsmart thing is when your keys are in the opposite pocket from your free hand.

Dash said...

The smart thing is to have your kids bring the groceries in ;-)

No hands required.

f o r r e s t said...

Yeah, give us all a few more years and not only will they be bringing in the groceries, they'll be mowing the law too!

Are any of you guys going to Phil's this Saturday?

shakedust said...

I will be going to Homers tonight, but I won't be at the pool thing this weekend.

f o r r e s t said...

...like smoking crack?

f o r r e s t said...

...or drinking booze?

windarkwingod said...

"!"

roamingwriter said...

I guess you could still play slot machines with NJ. That would be an easy leisure activity. One armed bandit could take on a new meaning.