Thursday, April 13, 2006

voiced concerns

I recently had to interview someone about a large purchase he made that said something about him for class. Mostly out of convenience and the fact that I work with someone who recently purchased an XBox 360 I interviewed a coworker over lunch and recorded the interview.

While I was listening to the recording I remembered that I don't like the sound of my own voice. When I hear my voice it is a little weird because I don't sound that way to myself. I don't think my voice sounds nearly as cheesy as it really does until I hear it externally. Then I am reminded that it sounds eerily like that of a geek or nerd.

When I was young we would crowd myself, my mom, and my sister around a tape recorder and have discussions. I remember thinking then how squeaky my voice was. It has deepened a little since then, but there is still a weird quality that makes it not quite right. I am not sure if it is the tone of my voice, the speed of my voice, the pausing of my voice or all of the above. One thing is for sure, it will be like this for a while. I'm no ventriloquist.

6 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

Your voice sounds fine to me.

How does my voice sound? Because I feel the same as you when I hear my voice played back or even when I listen to my self speak without a recording.

I have had to re-record my Voice Mail many time to get it to sound right to my ears.

T said...

I hear my voice and I think, "Kind of deep for a woman!" Then I have people tell me I'm soft spoken and higher pitched! Weird.

I have to agree that my pitch is much higher recorded then in my own head, to sound the way I sound in my head for real--I'd probably have to sound like I'm talking in bass tones in my head! I don't know that I'll ever think I'm soft spoken though! :)

Dash said...

T finally admitted to me (last year I think) that she has always thought I have a "weird" tone in my voice and that it took some getting used to. I remember listening to my air checks with the professor after a semester of campus radio and thinking how horrible I sounded ... thanks to T, I now know that I was right.

the good news is that I sing wonderfully in the shower.

...right?!

T said...

HEY, I never said it was bad, I said it was unique!

windarkwingod said...

I sound like a tenor-stoner...

Stephanie said...

I'm tone deaf. I always think I sound great, but others cover their ears.