Thursday, April 20, 2006

my own little world

Being a guy, I can usually segment my life into pieces. I have my work piece, my school piece, my at home watching TV piece, etc. Usually I can keep each of these portions of my life from bleeding into each other. There are some exceptions to this, though.

The past few days I have not been able to keep up with my responsibilities at work because people have been out, and I have been trying to figure when I am going to find time to write my next paper for school. Over some time, this means that I have been having some stress spill over into my at home life.

Golden can usually tell when this is happening. When I shore myself in my recliner and resist any suggestion to do something outside the house, that means that I am trying to retreat into my home world away from the junk that is happening elsewhere. The big problem is that I can't hide out forever. I eventually have to go back to work and school and making myself comfortable at home makes the process more difficult.

I think this is part of why I have always had a hard time getting out of bed in the morning. Bed represents safety and lack of responsibility. When I get up I have to be responsible, on my toes, and accept the possibility of failing at what I do. Sometimes, even a nightmare feels safer than that.

9 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

...time to make the donuts.

f o r r e s t said...

Golden can usually tell when this is happening. When I curl up in the fetal position and start crying for mommy.

shakedust said...

Well, yeah, but that is a little more obvious. :)

GoldenSunrise said...

Seriously, I think being home schooled messed you up in that area.

I could tell last night that there was no way you were going to get out of the house. Sorry that classes on Monday and Tuesday are wearing on you.

f o r r e s t said...

will you be coming out of the house tonight?? Say...to homers?

shakedust said...

I plan on it.

Actually, I want to talk to you about Wednesday nights tonight as well, so I have motivation to be at Homers.

f o r r e s t said...

Opps, I didn't read this before I left work las'night...so we didn't talk about Wednesday nights. catch me later.

f o r r e s t said...

oops not opps.

roamingwriter said...

I've noticed when I'm stressed I quit blogging. It's too personal for some reason and I have to cut something or I can't function.