Thursday, April 06, 2006

anniversary and birth

First, I want to note that today is the one year anniversary for this site. I did a two-hundredth post comment not too long ago, so it probably isn't worth having another milestone post. I will note that in my first comment I promised to relay some deep thoughts. I'll get around to that some time.

More on topic, on Tuesday Golden and I went to our first childbirth class. When we got there we learned that there would only be two other couples in the class. Of the other people there, two formerly worked for Accenture (like me), one is a software engineer at Sprint (which is what I did with Accenture), and one is an Economics professor at KU, where I am taking business classes. Not only did I have some connection with everyone else there, they also were all rather left-brained individuals. Also, I think one of the fathers there is more of a nervous person than I am. I didn't think that was possible.

The class itself was a lecture about the beginning stages of delivery. The person teaching the class said that the rest of the classes will not have as much lecturing like that. It was a little rough after going to class on Monday night for three and a half hours. It will probably be nice to have gone through the class when Golden really is delivering the baby, though, so that I will have an idea of what is going on.

One thing the teacher did cover and dwell on for a while is that a woman in labor will tend to use the right side of the brain a lot more than the left. She emphasized that the logic centers of the brain don't get as much blood, so trying to reason with Golden about something while she is in labor may not be wise.

At the end of class we went through a relaxing exercise. At first I thought it was kind of cheesy, but I was able to get quite relaxed. Toward the end I couldn't even feel my arms.

Next week we will be discussing the "pushing" stage of delivery. That should be fun.

5 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

It seems like you were comfortable with the other couples there and I was too. I actually learned things too.

f o r r e s t said...

good job. you guys do need to learn these things. Just wait for the videos of screaming mothers.

Dash said...

... and before you can leave the hospital there's more training on what to do with the screaming baby :-)

windarkwingod said...

Do you guys you Airzookas in birthing class?

Stephanie said...

Wise teacher. Don't try to reason with her. Just be quiet and do what you're told. Have fun in the classes. We have good memories from ours.