Wednesday, October 26, 2005

it

Here's one more thing to add to the "Things that annoy Dust" list. It really gets on my nerves because it keeps me from understanding people. It makes me look stupid sometimes when I don't understand what it is. This thing simply must be addressed. If this paragraph annoys you, then you know what I mean.

I get frustrated by the use of pronouns without antecedents and by the overuse of the word "thing." Why, may you ask, would this annoy me? Because, I may answer, I am a literal person who does not usually make the assumptions necessary to know what "it" is or who "he" or "she" or "they" are. I can hear entire an discussion without having a clue as to what it is about.

Golden sometimes tells me something like, "I am thinking about calling them about that thing that they asked us to do." Sometimes I can put two and two together, but I am too slow to parse that sentence properly. I tend to give a lot of blank responses during those conversations.

I commit an opposite crime that annoys Golden just as much. Rather than using "it" or "thing" to describe a word that I can't remember, I pause for an uncomfortably long period of time until I can think of the word I want. Golden typically walks away and does something else while I try to work out what the exact right word is for what I want to say.

What can I say? It's one thing about me she just doesn't like.

5 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I shouldn't assume that you know what I am talking about. : )

I just lack patience for you to get your words out. I have ADHD. (My initials and disorder)

T said...

To golden, How cool is IT that your initials with disorder are ADHD! That's funny. So I am stuck saying 'it's just me' and you have a quippy little ADHD thing you get to say, I'm jealous!

To dust,
I get what you are saying, although I am guilty of writing in the abstract form from time to time and trying to be non specific. Sorry! :)

f o r r e s t said...

I am dust and golden combined. I get annoyed when people aren't specific and I get annoyed if the stop in the middle of a sentance and leave me hanging.

It's funny when someone talks about that thing like you know what they are refering to when what they are refering to happened 10 minutes ago.

Dash said...

forrest .. .were you trying to look like Jom Morrison? I thought your new pic was a doors album cover at first :-)

roamingwriter said...

I like my antecedents to be clear but in verbal speech I am guilty of thingee and it. Right now I'm living in pronoun hades. There are many many many pronombres here and they have to be feminine or masculine depending on the object which I suppose theorhetically helps with knowing what you are talking about. Also there are ones that are neutral, and some that relate back to the speaker or to the person receiving the action...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh