Tuesday, July 05, 2005

masquerade

I hate putting on a show to make myself appear or sound different than I really am. I hate making people think I believe something that I don't. I hate having to do anything that is less than honest.

As a result of what I hate, I have butted heads with my parents some in the past. Even though I agree on a lot with them, they are a little more traditional than I am and I haven't hidden many of the conflicting positions I have from them. I am appreciative that they always respect what I have to say, but there have been times when I still kept some feelings quiet.

When I was growing up, there were a TV shows that were off limits. One of these TV shows was The Simpsons, which I believe was condemned early because Bart had a bad attitude. I have a problem now. Since leaving home I have determined that The Simpsons ranks as one of the greatest shows ever created in its satirical portrayal of just about everything including Christianity.

This weekend, I got a chance to speak with my parents about a lot of things. We talked about family and friends and we also discussed things like formality in church and grace. A few hours before we left, though, the subject of comedic TV shows came up with my Mom. I conceded my enjoyment of The Simpsons, and she pointed out that she had heard positive things lately about how the show portrays Christianity. I am just happy that I don't have to keep up a facade.

5 comments:

Dash said...

I've found that any time the clouds part over Springfield and a big hand / voice / foot is visable on screen, it's time to hop on the blasphemy wagon.

Jadee said...

Good for you in being true to yourself and not putting up a facade. Your fruit/spiritual growth will show if you are keeping Christ as the center. (BTW, if one does pose a charade to "not offend" another...doesn't that really become hypocrisy? Just a question to ponder...)

It took me a LONG time to be comfortable being around my parents with my own decisions...but it only happened once I became more grounded in my relationship with Christ and knowing that He is what matters most...and not what other people think about me.

Also, the fact that the little things like pants, makeup, pierced earrings, and movies are so NOT the issues to be "Biblically judged" on...kind of helped me to see how ridiculous we as humans make things.

Simply follow Christ's example...and even WWJD if that helps...Being a Christian is NOT complicated and we are only accountable to God now that our folks have raised us. It is now my responsibility to raise my children to love, honor, and serve Him.

f o r r e s t said...

Were you inspired by Golden's new cd?

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade . . .
Masquerade!
Hide your face,
so the world will
never find you!
Masquerade!
Every face a different shade . . .
Masquerade!
Look around -
there's another
mask behind you!

shakedust said...

Forrest, I am impressed! I wasn't sure if anyone would notice the title. It was pretty vague.

Anonymous said...

I notice the title, too . . . but having watched it with you this weekend, I was predisposed to catch on to it. :o)

Keep forging through the controversies and the differences of opinions! It makes my life easier when I get into disagreements with mom and dad later on. ". . . but DUST's opinions are MUCH farther out there than MINE!" Love ya! ;o)