Thursday, July 21, 2005

if you like funny - part 2

This may appear off-topic for anyone who was drawn in by yesterday's post. Anyway, you've been warned.

As I said in part 1, I believe that a humorist must have at least a slightly skewed view of the world. Either that or the humorist must understand what is absurd in the world to present it as funny. I think this points to a certain type of person who has the potential to be funny, but hasn't taken that step yet.

In the formation of my humor I went through a long silly stage that lasted my entire childhood and slowly branched out of silly and into funny in high school and college. In some respects my humor is still silly rather than funny, but for the most part I have matured to funny. There seem to be a lot of people who are still at the silly stage.

Please don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with silly in the same way that there is nothing wrong with PB&J. It is fine once in a while, but it suited my tastes more frequently as a kid.

I think part of the reason that I notice so much silly humor is that I am a Christian and so a large percentage of the worlds I exist in are heavily populated by Christians. While I know plenty of Christians that are at the least much funnier than I, there is still a large percentage of the Christian population who are really lacking a sense of humor, though they excel in the silly.

I am honestly amazed at how well-done much of Christian children's entertainment is and how it contrasts with how lousy a lot of the other stuff is. The reason for that is that children's humor is not funny, but silly. We can handle silliness easier than real humor because it is absurd on a much shallower level. The difference is subtle, but the average adult can pick it up. If you aren't sure that you can, think about the difference between Full House and The Simpsons.

I used to think that the reason that a lot of Christians (and most of Christian entertainment) was not funny was because there was an unwritten standard of decency which could not be breached. I guess it is possible that this is the case, but I have serious doubts. I personally think some offensive humor is funny, but the best humor (and that which Christians do not excel at) is not offensive humor, but wit. The humor I most appreciate is that which most artfully illustrates absurdity. Most offensive humor lacks the art that I long for in comedy and rarely has any true wit involved.

I think the problem here is an extreme reliance on literalism of the world around us that leaves no room for absurdity. Furthermore, I think that some feel that there is a need to put on a good face. In my opinion, that prevents people from embracing the absurdity that they observe in life and become truly funny, and can lead to hypocrisy.

I say embrace the absurdities in your life and others' lives as well. Take note of them. Joke about them. Make your life a little more funny.

13 comments:

shakedust said...

I had a friend in high school who used to say if she couldn't laugh she'd cry. That is how I feel about most of that end times crap (and that is what most of it is). That is fodder for a later post, though.

Bck on topic, I either leave those sessions laughing or upset with how drawn in people are to that.

I think this is the first comment that I have made where an alter ego would have come in handy.

GoldenSunrise said...

Laughter is a defense mechanism that some people use to help deal with the hard times in their life. Some of the funniest people I have known through high school and college have gone through some really tough circumstances.

Are the people that aren't funny more normal? Food for thought.

Anonymous said...

Who are those people that make the most absurd comments on Wednesday night? I can hardly contain my laughter. I did an impersonation of one guy last night for Dust.

shakedust said...

Clearing, I think we need to laugh about this tonight. Pointing out the idiocy of the whole thing happens to be one of my soapboxes. I just don't know enough people I can preach that to.

Golden, interesting point. My assessment is that the people who aren't funny are less normal, but a part of them thinks otherwise. I could be wrong.

)en said...

Actually, I don't think it's that normal to find someone who's truly hilarious. (But then again, i have the self-claimed "higher humor" so it takes a bit more) However, I would consider myself to be someone who is quick to laugh so maybe it doesn't take a lot afterall...

I do think that people who don't laugh are less normal. That's just not right nor is it healthy. So sure people may laugh at things I may not think are particularly funny but who cares? Laugh away.

Isn't it fun how I'm some stranger jumping in on your discussion? I was browsing blogs yesterday and found this one. I liked it because it was well-written.

And funny. :)

shakedust said...

Jen, thanks for the compliment. It is appreciated. Sometimes people appreciate my humor and sometimes...

Anonymous said...

Do any animals laugh except hyenas? (now THATS FUNNY!!!!) Seriously. On Thursday nights past, I noticed my habit of trying to make a funny remark during the middle of a serious relationship-type conversation. Always wondered why I needed to do that.

)en said...

To releave the tension. Combat the awkard moments. Humor is awkwardness's (<-- speaking of, what an awkward word) most deadly foe. Then again, a failed attempt at humor, or a joke that isn't understood, can make the situation even MORE awkward, but that usually makes ME laugh, so at least for me, problem solved.

f o r r e s t said...

Did Dust just admit that some people appreciate his humor?.........................now that is funny!

shakedust said...

Forrest, wasn't Clearing supposed to say that?

Anyway, here's to you ---> :p

f o r r e s t said...

He was...He yelled it across the room and told me he was busy, so I had to delivery the message. I tried to get away with being funny, but it was not my original thought-the credit goes to clearing.

roamingwriter said...

Interesting discussion on humor. I fall for each category but sadly slapstick and puns are strong for me. I feel afirmed by the idea that negative ideas are used in humor. I've worried about telling a funny story of some incident in life and then thought maybe I'm just negative. Also kudos to you for using the word furthermore in a blog. Today I learned the word for moreover in spanish; it can also be used as well, anyway, etc....ademas (with an accent on the a)

windarkwingod said...

Roamer laughed at me when she saw my wallet bobbing up and down in my swim trunks as I stood in the ocean on our honeymoon. All my cash was in there - so it was extra funny to her. She also laughed when I was on the floor of some pastor's bathroom because of food poisoning. Me - I laugh at Owen Wilson.. >:P

Furthermore - I am superior in my humorness