Saturday, July 16, 2005

the dead day

What makes a day a good one to post or a bad one to post? I have noticed that there are some days when just about everyone is involved with a post somewhere and several lively discussions are maintained throughout the day. Then there are days like yesterday.

It could be that Dash and T were gone on a vacation day. It could be that Forrest only has a half day at work on Fridays and so doesn't take as much time on blogs on those days. It could be that yesterday was BB's anniversary and so he was too busy to post. I don't know. I must not know if I think BB may have an impact on how much posting is going on. What I do know is that what just a day or two earlier seemed like a bustling world of discussions, observations, and joking became a rarely interrupted dead planet of sorts.

The reason I am working through this is that I want to figure out what that sweet spot is for the best times to post specific types of posts. Some are just filler (like this post) meant to keep me in the running on Dash's tally and some are important enough to me that I like to post them at a time when I know I will get the most traffic.

Maybe I can just keep posting the more important ones over and over. That will serve a dual purpose. I can get what I want to say in front of everyone and I will pass T in Dash's compilation.

4 comments:

T said...

I still have some in my drafts...I also might start posting "little blogs" like forrest to keep my numbers up! We'll see? I want to stay true to my own style so I may not either. I usually give up once I realize I can't win, so if I reach that point I may not blog as often.

As for the dead day---I have noticed Mondays seem to be a day that most people are reading/commenting and blogging, other then that, you are the only real consistent one so there will always be dead days. Avoid weekends with stuff you really want us to read, I'm the only one who checks during that time! :)

f o r r e s t said...

You say "little blogs" like that is a bad thing. I am just trying to avoid getting into a mindset of having to write a novel everytime so I don't get burnout and feel like I can't post unless I have something really important to say.

I take the weekend off (slow internet at home) and my Friday half days are usually busy for me to get stuff done and then out of there.

T said...

No I don't think that it's a bad thing. I just recognize that it's not usually my style.

roamingwriter said...

I always hope for something on the weekends, especially now. THen I realize, oh, all my friends are busy doing things together and there's no need to blog; or maybe it's just that the high speed internet isn't at home. It's funny - definitely slow on weekends. That seems to be true of email too.