Monday, July 25, 2005

as if sarcasm is funny

I was speaking with BB yesterday about my comments on humor from last week and he pointed out that I neglected to mention sarcasm. This is one of the more appreciated versions of humor and so he wondered how I could have forgotten about it. Yeah, like people laugh at sarcasm.

Sarcasm is yet one more form of humor that works best for pessimists because they are used to deflating optimists' and idealists' dreams. All a pessimist has to do is adopt an exaggerated tone of voice and say what he or she is thinking. Like that's so hard.

Both BB and I have been known to use sarcasm for the occasional laugh. When listening to a conversation and nothing more witty comes to mind, a sarcastic remark will usually at least pick up a courtesy laugh (or moan). Yeah, apparently we'll both stoop to just about any level for attention.

I thought about writing a sarcastic post about our conversation, but I was concerned that some people might not pick up on the sarcasm given that I couldn't adopt the exaggerated tone of voice. As if someone is so dense they wouldn't pick up on that.

8 comments:

Dash said...

If you do decide to publish that post, don't forget to add a font key in your profile ie:

Italics = Sarcastic

windarkwingod said...

Funny how humor can be a weapon (or in YOUR case, some kinda' pepper spray out of a brown soda can...) How was that?

shakedust said...

Would that be a Dr Pepper spray? Oh wait, that is a pun and not sarcasm.

windarkwingod said...

Yea... I think Dr. Pepper spray is what is occuring all over our furniture somewhere in a hot container on the Atlantic... Hopefully it will be enought to put out the flames from the self-lighting charcoal (all 200lbs)....

Dash said...

On a slightly unrelated note .... grocery stores are now selling "Pib Zero". This is presumebly a new member of what I expect will be a growing zero family.

I noticed that the hipp new Pibb is now gender neutral; having dropped the "Mr." moniker.

What's next Vanilla-Lime Coke Clear-Zero?

I'd by it - just so I can maintain the healthy level of Phenylketonurics in my system.

f o r r e s t said...

I am a sucker for new flavors of soda pop. Last Christmas season Pepsi had a Holiday Spice flavor. It was actually good.
Coke lime
Coke Vanilla
Vanilla Cherry DP
Mountain Dew RED, orange
C2
Zero
Splenda
Sprite Remix

Achtung BB said...

What does soda have to do with sarcasism? Why don't you just write a blog about soda since it seems so important (now that is sarcasist)

rmg said...

An even better post. very witty and funny (no sarcasm intended).