Friday, July 08, 2005

clothesed for business

Among the myriad of conversations that came up in my office yesterday about religion, politics, and the bombs in London, a more benign topic was raised later in the day. There was something of a debate among several of the guys I work with as to whether it is better to buy clothes yourself or let your wife do it.

Most wives apparently prefer to control that aspect of the household (though not all, I have learned). The question was for those of us guys whose wives prefer to do the clothes shopping. Should we want them to?

The pros mentioned were:
  • Most guys view this as a chore and most wives don't
  • When the wife is away (at the mall) the man will play (Xbox)
  • Wives typically consider the husband's taste before picking a set of clothes (notice I didn't call it an outfit)
The cons mentioned were:
  • She might pick something too formal
  • She might pick something too casual
  • I have no control over what she picks out
I am solidly in the let-my-wife-buy-my-clothes-when-possible camp. My greatest concern with clothes is comfort and Mrs Dust understands that. I think she fills the role nicely.

We have discussed this arrangement some at home, and she usually indicates that she likes it. I think sometimes that I too happily drop the responsibility for clothes on her, though. Maybe I can make it up by picking out clothes for her. I think a cadmium yellow top looks great with a electric blue capris and dead grass brown shoes. Don't you?

11 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

That's ok. It is my act of service for you to buy your clothes.

Dust has to go when it is time to buy his jeans because he has to try those on. (his rear issues)

Funny thing is that I just bought a cadmium yellow shirt. It was a color that I didn't have.

Dash said...

All things considered Dust, you have an amazingly descriptive way of referencing colors.

I also am perfectly ok with Mrs. Dash picking out my clothes. I don't have an Xbox, but I will concur that there is something magical about a new package of underwear, socks, or a polo (of course) appearing on my dressing bench.

T has started wanting me to go with her and or be very specific about what I want. The only good part about this is not getting a really long phone call as she goes through racks of clothing while I'm trying to play one of those semi-cool online games you can download for free.

.... and if I help pick the clothes out, I'm less likely to be required to do the fashion show when the shopping is over.

f o r r e s t said...

OMG - you guys! I love to go shopping for clothes. I don't do it often and am usually pretty picky, but the whole process is usually fun.

Shopping for us is usually never a planned activity, but something that we stumble upon as we are strolling through the Plaza. After hitting B&N and PB we'll check out Gap and Banana, and sometimes they have sales that you just can't pass up. But since it is not a planned activity, there is no pressure to pick something out.

Doc said...

Or you could just buy through an on-line catalog. Its quick and you never have to leave your home. Lands End usually supplies all my dress shirts (about the only clothes I have purchased recently). Plus if I don't like it they have a no questions asked return/refund policy. REI is also a favorite for similar reasons.

Dash said...

I think now might be a good time for a nature lesson from commander dash.

... "you see that light up ahead see boys? Let's head over that way.

Now we've been hiking through this forrest for a while now and this open area here in the middle is what they call a clearing.

It's sometimes caused by a fire that burned part of the forrest down - this being the part that hasn't grown back yet. Sometimes, people have cut down the trees for wood. Sometimes the climate and conditions don't allow the big trees to grow in this part, so it's just grass.

In any case, just remember that clearing is a part of the forrest - it's just damaged and might eventually grow back. It all depends on the trees."

f o r r e s t said...

I think clearing was making fun of me because I like to shop for clothes....I'm not gay! Don't be rude, Clearing.

Dash said...

Sometimes you can't see the forrest for all of the trees.

Since clearing doesn't seem to have any - he may be the true forrest after all.

shakedust said...

I think a more "clear" way of saying that would be that the nature of the forest is only visible from the clearing.

roamingwriter said...

I can buy Dar something he likes for a gift, but I am not allowed to dress Dar or even suggest. GOD FORBID I suggest something be tucked in or that something else might be a better wear for the occassion. We do shop well when we go out to look for clothes. Often we too stumble on a sale and make happy discoveries.

f o r r e s t said...

You guys are confusing me and I am not sure what clearing thinks of this...

windarkwingod said...

Roamer is ALWAYS trying to tuck my shirt in. My mom never succeeded even when I was five. Why should I start now? I even leave a shirt with a squared-tail out of my trousers when I wear a suitcoat. If I tuck my shirt in I get the heebies like I can't breath. Good thing I don't wear hose.

Also, I love to buy my own clothes. I can't afford 16 shirts at one time so I buy 4 of solid colors that are usually on sale. I like the "American Classic" idea found in the Forrest. Here in Spain a popular trouser item is the "Spant" - this must have item is a cross between shorts and pants. Basically it is capri pants for guys. They actually look okay. I have seen no spants in bright colors. Just think of long slim cargo shorts. Interesting that I have seen NO baggy pants. If you must hold your jeans up with one hand, or your undies happen to show because of your baggy trousers - you are usually wearing a special helmet 24 hours a day.