Wednesday, April 09, 2008

under cover

Yesterday morning I grabbed my umbrella as I ran from my car into the office. It wasn't a downpour, but it was raining pretty heavily. On the way to my desk I started thinking about the fact that I haven't seen another man using an umbrella in quite a while.I wonder why it is that I have seen more women willing to use umbrellas than men. Are umbrellas effeminate and I just don't know it? Do most men just not care if they get wet? Are men more likely to forget to bring an umbrella? For my part, I don't really care how it makes me look because I really don't want to get wet every time it rains.

What about you? Do you ever use an umbrella? Why or why not?

Update: ABCNews.com has a review of a new type of hands-free umbrella. At least I don't stick out now like I would with this thing.

5 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

My former boss always used an umbrella. He never forgot his umbrella either. I think it's because he's obsessive compulsive.
I bet some men want to look tough enough to brave the rain.

Achtung BB said...

In a place like Portland that rains a lot, nobody uses an umbrella. If you got a hood, wear it. Usually the only people to use umbrellas are old ladies and tourist.

Portland wawa said...

What BB said is partly true. People who take the bus or max use umbrellas alot because they have to wait in the rain. Most of my lab uses umbrellas but they all use public transportation. I personally just wear a hood, it's too easy to forget umbrellas.

T said...

Dash always told me umbrellas are for girls. Neither one of us use one.

roamingwriter said...

I use hoods but if it's a serious downpour an umbrella is best. Dar and I have challenges with the umbrella because of height differences. If he can see I'm getting wet and vice versa.It's still nice to share an umbrella from time to time.