Saturday, April 12, 2008

spiritual responsibility

Two recent items on religion have popped up in the news and made me think about responsibility within church.

First, there were the videos from Barack Obama's church where his pastor said some offensive things. Second, officials in Texas have removed over four hundred kids from a Polygamous cult compound.

Since the first piece of news broke I have considered what responsibility a church member has to correct teaching that he or she does not agree with or feels is destructive. Is it more dangerous to make a stink about certain things or just leave them alone? Where is the line?

Since the second piece of news broke, I have been wondering whether blind faith is actually faith. The stories that I have read of people who escaped cult have described its members as mindlessly accepting of some extreme doctrines. If someone by good fortune happened to believe the truth about God with the same sort of intellectual abandon as these cult members, would it actually be faith?

These are too deep of questions for so late at night. Even if it were a more normal time of day, I still probably would not have the answers.

1 comment:

T said...

I've wondered about these things before. Let me know when you have the answers! :)