Thursday, April 24, 2008

planning vacations

Golden and I don't do too many vacations. Since we don't live too close to family, we tend to budget vacation time and money to seeing family. This year, some family is coming to see us, but we are not currently planning trips to see family.

We have discussed going to Omaha some time this summer. I have heard that the zoo there is impressive, and it looks like there are a few other attractions as well. It doesn't hurt that Omaha is a mere three hours drive away. That is a bearable trip with a toddler.

We still may not try travelling this year, though. We have a relatively busy schedule set up, and the later we get into the summer the less Golden is going to want to do things that require her to walk around in the heat. Also, the house has been more expensive to maintain this year than I hoped, so I might not feel comfortable spending much money on non-essential things this summer.

Since we don't really take vacations, I don't have a lot of practice setting up the details of a vacation. It may seem simple or stupid, but I don't know how to pick places to stay and things that we will like to do. In a couple of years we want to have a more major vacation around the time of our tenth anniversary. I have started to realize that I don't have the slightest clue how to set one up. A lot of the typical resort activities (swimming, golf, going to a spa, etc) are not things that we get into. Is it even worthwhile to look into a resort or cruise? I don't want our once-every-ten-years event to be a waste, so what wouldn't be?

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

the zoo in Omaha is pretty nice, but other than that, I can't think of anything else to do there. I seldom plan the details. We usually go with an idea of what we want to do, then just wing it.

f o r r e s t said...

Vacations are fun.

We are going to Chicago in June for a minivacation/conference, but I hope to do several minivactions with the family over the coarse of the Summer.

We actually use priceline quite a bit to find cheep hotels in the fun parts of town.

Omaha is a good overnight weekend trip. I wouldn't plan several days or anything.

GoldenSunrise said...

Since I planned our honeymoon and trip to Chicago, maybe I should plan our tenth anniversary vacation. I don't mind.

Portland wawa said...

Alot of my family is in Omaha, but besides the zoo, there is nothing spectacular there. But the zoo is nice.

How about a day trip to St. Louis? BB and I did that before we left, to see the arch, go to the zoo, see the Missouri botanical gardens, which have a great kid area. Union Station is good too. That was a fun get away weekend.

I would suggest, if you don't like planning, a cruise for your 10 year anniversary. BB and I loved our honeymoon cruise, but we didn't have kids either back then. But you don't have to plan anything, except your excursions. But that's fun.