Thursday, April 17, 2008

judgmental

This post is a confession of my judgmental attitude about some specific things. I need to note that no one who I know who reads this blog has ever triggered the attitude that I talk about here. I wouldn't post this if that were the case.

Try as I may to address this, there are a few things that I can stil be quite judgmental about. A lot of them have to do with how people spend money, so I am sure this says more about me than them. It's really none of my business how people spend their money, and I am definitely not a good judge of the frivolous, but certain key things trigger my judgment. Again, this is something that I am working on.

When I speak with someone who golfs regularly, which isn't that often, I have a hard time not thinking in the back of my mind that a cheaper and less time-consuming hobby might be a better idea. This is wrong on a couple of levels. While a serious golfer may sink several thousand dollars a year into the sport, I know that casual golfers can do so for a few hundred a year. Even if someone does spend thousands on the sport, it's his or her decision on how to spend it.

When I visit a house where the decor has a very expensive feel I make similar judgments. The interior design has to look very exquisite for me to feel this way, but when it does I do. I think about what a waste this extravagance is. I don't think about the things that I might like that are expensive.

When I see someone in a new BMW or Mercedes or similar luxury car my judgmental attitude is triggered again. I wonder who in the world would need such frill. I don't think about the fact that my Taurus would be a luxury in some areas of the world.

The reason that these specific things trigger these bad thoughts is that these are things I always mentally associated with people who were upper class when I was growing up. I don't make those judgments about people who have cable television, for example, because my family as well as many of my friends' families had cable when I was growing up. I judge golf largely because I didn't have any close friends who I knew golfed.

Regardless of my reasons, I know I need to be more careful about how I interpret other peoples' relationships with their money. Mine is the one that I should be concerned about.

4 comments:

Portland wawa said...

I can relate to how you feel. It is hard not to question the money that people put into things, needless things in my mind. These women in my homegroup buy all organic cosmetics from Switzerland, it's really expensive, and in my opinion, not necessary.
I believe you are right, that it has to do with your background. If you grew up with BMWs and Mercedes, than it wouldn't seem extravagant.

For years, I forced BB to use dial-up and no cable, not because we couldn't afford it, but because I thought it was an unneccesary expense since I grew up very poor. So BB is slowly changing my idea of what is a necessary and unneccesary expense. He is always telling me to spend more money on my personal items, instead of buying the cheapest I can find, which is what I do. He buys me nice things and I appreciate them more. I should listen to him.

Achtung BB said...

Yes you should.
I think I get a little uptight when I see people who I know can't afford luxuray items like horses, X-box 360, plasma TVs, nice cars with nice stereos, etc, while everything else falls apart. I see this in some extended family and with some families that I work with. They complain about not having enough money to buy food or clothing for their kids, while out back they have 12 horses or a really nice TV.
I try not be judgemental and think that that is the one thing they spoil themselves with. I think everyone spoils themselves with something. I spoil myself with music obviously.

GoldenSunrise said...

Thanks for being honest. I have similar issues. I don't like living in rich Johnson County. I know there's nothing wrong with having nice things, it's all about the attitude behind it.

T said...

I agree BB we all spoil ourselves in some way or another, but it can be difficult if you are choosing not to buy a plasma tv to see one in every one else's house. That's the tough one we are faced with right now. Dash wants one and I do too, but we keep holding out and choosing to spend our money in other ways. I guess eventually we'll decide to give up and go for it, but I don't know when.