Monday, April 07, 2008

dust words

I think that in just about every serious relationship there are words that one person uses that the other person thinks are weird. I definitely use a few words that Golden has questioned.

The first time I can recall Golden making a big deal about one of the words I used was in a presentation I did in a class that we were both in. Twice in the presentation I used the word "disparity." Golden's opinion was that I sounded like I was trying to show off that I knew what the word meant. Maybe I did, but every time we have heard the word used since, I have given her a nudge.

Another word I use quite a bit is "munch." Golden used to tease me about saying that I needed something to munch. Now I have influenced her enough that she uses the word as well. Heh, heh, heh.

A final word that I use that sticks out to Golden is "crisp." If it is a freezing morning, I will describe the cold as biting. However, if the morning is simply chilly, I will describe the temperature as crisp. For a while, Golden was not convinced that I was even using the word correctly.

I have to be fair, though, that Golden and her family use words that I haven't gotten used to either. If they say to put food on your plate they tell you to, "dip your plate." She also uses a word the word "swig" to describe a sip. This is a word that my dad uses as well, but that I simply have never gotten used to.

I should be thankful. Apart from a few differences in the words we use, we really aren't very different. I would say there is hardly any disparity between us at all.

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

I use all those words in my vocab. I'd have to think about what words Wah-Wah uses that I might find strange.

GoldenSunrise said...

I am fine with the word disparity now. I did not know what it meant when you first used it in class. Crisp sounds like a word my grandparents would use.

I think Pennsylvanians put emphasis on different syllables than Midwest people. They say a sentence but it sounds like they asked a question.

Portland wawa said...

There are alot of words BB uses that I question. Nipplious Nipplin means Nibbles. Mr. Abufia means Woogy. The "animal" or the "beast" means the dog. "Playing beastly ball" means taking the dog to the park. "Going to nippleland" means going to bed.
"my little abu" is again Nibbles. The list is endless.
He is like Austin Powers, he has his own complete language that you just have to know him to understand.

T said...

I have found that if there is two definitions for a word, dash and I tend to differ on how we use it! Differences are a good thing--keeps life from getting to mundain!