Thursday, April 10, 2008

always right

At the grocery store where I used to work, there was a sign by the cash registers that had two rules on it.

Rule #1: The customer is always right.
Rule #2: When in doubt refer to Rule #1.

In practical terms it was a good idea to focus employees' attention on the customer. In a business where the workforce is making minimum wage and is probably not there because this is what they wanted to do with their lives since elementary school, any motivation to serve the customer seems like good motivation. I think, though, that this mentality is flawed.

If the customer is truly always right, then if there is a disagreement about the price of a product or whether the customer paid with a ten dollar bill or a twenty or anything else the thing to do is to take the customer at his or her word. No sane business person would do this because a small percentage of customers would rob him or her blind. Saying that the customer is always right isn't something that a business person does with the belief that it is correct, but rather because it is a quick and easy way of telling employees that they should shape up.

While I think that the idea that the customer is always right is almost correct and sends almost the right message to customers and employees, it is not good because it cannot ever be 100% correct. Rather than being a rule that employees can truly follow, then, it becomes a meaningless catch phrase. I cannot imagine that the quality of customer service is better where there is a policy of the customer always being right unless that policy holds water.

If a business is concerned about employees giving a customer a good experience, how about just hiring people who test high on conscientiousness and agreeableness? In my opinion, it is a much better way to get the desired result.

3 comments:

Achtung BB said...

"The customer is always right when the manager is around" that was my motto.
I remember when I worked retail, I would easily give into the customer because I didn't feel like arguing. The amount of money I was paid wasn't worth getting into a heated debate about. I think the worse motto was when I worked at McD's for a few month's: "Smiles are free". After working 10 hrs at minimum wage and smelling like fries, it was hard to still smile.

Portland wawa said...

When I was a waitress, we always acted on the premise that the customer is always right. For one thing, they determined your salary more than the establishment. Our wage was like 2.50/hr + tips. So I went out of my way for the customer, but so did my managers too. They kissed butt if something bad happened so they didn't lose their business.

roamingwriter said...

I've been fighting PC Mall (aka Mac Mall) all week. So far I'm not right ever. As soon as I can get ahold of them on the phone today I'm going to cancel my order. They don't think I'm right, I don't think they're competent. We'll call it even.