Wednesday, September 05, 2007

the law

In my human resources class we have been discussing discrimination. One of the primary points to understand is what groups are officially protected and which are not. Employers have to watch what they do and say in regard to the protected groups, but members of unprotected groups are, as the name implies, unprotected.

Something that I did not realize is that workplace sexual harassment is considered sex discrimination because the victim or victims are usually targeted by gender. There was apparently at least one case where a company successfully defended itself when a bi-sexual manager harassed employees. The company's defense was that the manager harassed the men and women equally, so there was no discrimination.

It is discussions like this that make me despise law. While I understand and appreciate the purpose for laws, I can get cynical about many peoples' approach to the law. Find what you can and cannot do, then take advantage of the law's shortcomings and stick it to your fellow man.

While this does not do the topic justice, it is for this reason that I so appreciate that true Christianity has little to do with law. I know some people like to integrate law into a relationship with Christ, but the foundation of the relationship should not be law. The New Testament writers made sure of that. What "rules" exist are defined by love. There are no loopholes because you either love or you don't.

Maybe this oversimplifies a relationship with God. I don't think that is a bad thing, though, because I think most people want to overcomplicate it.

4 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I didn't realize that sexual harrassment was also considered sex discrimination.

Portland wawa said...

That is disgusting that people find loopholes to excuse their lawbreaking. But that is what makes a good lawyer right, finding the loophole to defend their client? I can't believe people want to be lawyers at all.

T said...

Well said. :)

f o r r e s t said...

I agree.

And I look to the Office for proper and unproper work behavior.