Wednesday, September 12, 2007

500

Today is my five hundredth post. Since a five hundred record in sports indicates a season where a team has the same number of wins and losses, this post is about being average.

I do not think that I am good at being average. There is not really a better way of saying it. I have some good strengths and some bad weaknesses, but I rarely feel average. Maybe everyone is like that, and I am more average than I think.

A book written a few years ago called The Average American listed a few things that describe the majority of Americans. I blatantly lifted the list from a longer list at NPR, but NPR ripped its list from the book.

According to the book (I am taking NPR's word for it), the following bullet points describe most Americans. The parenthetical remarks describe whether that specific bullet point describes me.
  • Prefers smooth peanut butter over chunky (no)
  • Can name all Three Stooges (yes)
  • Lives within a 20-minute drive of a Wal-Mart (yes)
  • Eats at McDonald's at least once a year (yes)
  • Never sings in the shower (not usually, but not never either)
  • Lives in a house, not an apartment or condominium (yes)
  • Has fired a gun (yes)
  • Is between the ages of 18 and 53 (yes)
  • Believes gambling is an acceptable entertainment option (yes, but with serious restrictions in place)
  • Grew up within 50 miles of current home (no)
According to these amazingly arbitrary questions I am 70% typical American. How about you?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

• Prefers smooth peanut butter over chunky (no)
• Can name all Three Stooges (yes)
• Lives within a 20-minute drive of a Wal-Mart (yes)
• Eats at McDonald's at least once a year (yes)
• Never sings in the shower (not usually, but not never either)
• Lives in a house, not an apartment or condominium (no)
• Has fired a gun (no)
• Is between the ages of 18 and 53 (yes)
• Believes gambling is an acceptable entertainment option (yes, but with serious restrictions in place)
• Grew up within 50 miles of current home (yes (PA) and no (SD))

Looks like I’m 55-60% average American.

GoldenSunrise said...

I'm about 60-70% average. See, you are average, Dust. Not below average.

Achtung BB said...

Oh no, I'm about 80-90%. I'm way too average.

f o r r e s t said...

• Prefers smooth peanut butter over chunky (all natural organic peanut butter is not a choice, but it is booth smooth and chunky at the same time.)
• Can name all Three Stooges (cycle 1 or cycle 2?)
• Lives within a 20-minute drive of a Wal-Mart (yes, in 2o minutes i can drive to at least 4.)
• Eats at McDonald's at least once a year (yes)
• Never sings in the shower (depends on what time of the day I am showering. Morning never.)
• Lives in a house, not an apartment or condominium (yes)
• Has fired a gun (yes, but no animals (or humans-Cheney)were harmed)
• Is between the ages of 18 and 53 (yes)
• Believes gambling is an acceptable entertainment option (yes, but I pefer sure bets on entertainment.)
• Grew up within 50 miles of current home (yes)

Portland wawa said...

I meet 7 of the 10 so I am 70% average. I have never fired a gun, I don't live close to where I grew up and I don't believe gambling is a good entertainment option for anyone.

Dash said...

• Prefers smooth peanut butter over chunky (yes)

• Can name all Three Stooges (yes)

• Lives within a 20-minute drive of a Wal-Mart (yes ... even here)

• Eats at McDonald's at least once a year (yes - today actualy for the first time in about 2 months - it was great!)

• Never sings in the shower (Nope .. And I-I-I ah I Will .. Always Love You - ooh ohh a... Will always love youuuuuu)

• Lives in a house, not an apartment or condominium (yes)

• Has fired a gun (yes)

• Is between the ages of 18 and 53 (yes)

• Believes gambling is an acceptable entertainment option (yes, but I suck at it so it's not entertaining)

• Grew up within 50 miles of current home (nope)

80%

T said...

Prefers smooth peanut butter over chunky (no, but smooth goes further and spreads better, so I do not buy crunchy)

• Can name all Three Stooges (yes, Larry, Curley, Moe)

• Lives within a 20-minute drive of a Wal-Mart (yuppers, several within 30 minutes and I've been to all of them since we've moved back!)

• Eats at McDonald's at least once a year (yes)

• Never sings in the shower (No)

• Lives in a house, not an apartment or condominium (yes)

• Has fired a gun (no)

• Is between the ages of 18 and 53 (34)

• Believes gambling is an acceptable entertainment option (depends on the situation and the person, but no for me personally)

• Grew up within 50 miles of current home (yes)

T said...

Congrats on 500! :)

Doc said...

80% average for me.

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure I could drive anywhere in about 20 minutes, especially while singing for chunky peanut butter.