Thursday, September 27, 2007

fantasy world

Just about everything I have done for entertainment recently is a form of escapism. I have active escapism through fantasy football, fantasy Survivor, and a comic book character strategy game called HeroClix that we have been playing at work. For my passive escapism I have been filling time with TV and movies.

I have given this some thought. At first I thought it must be that I am subconsciously trying to escape the chaos of life. On further consideration, though, I have to think that it is because I have little other choice.

This is not meant to be a complaint at all, but the forms of entertainment I choose are largely due to what is possible. Even if I prefered to spend all of my weekends hiking, that is not something that I can easily work into my current schedule. Whether I would structure it into my schedule if it were easier is debatable, but the things that are the easiest to do are what I end up doing.

I do not understand how some parents of small children can remain socially active. That is definitely a challenge for me, and if the real world is a challenge I'll happily take a fantasy world alternative.

4 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

As parents of 3 small children who tries to stay socially active, I think it is more of the mindset of the parents.

Before we had kids, it seemed like those friend of ours with kids would throw in the towel (socially) once they became parents. This scared us. Then we made an observation while we were traveling Europe that young parents went about thier activities and brought their kids along. I know this doesn't sound like a new idea, but it looked different to me. It was the mindset, you can see it. It was dressing up to walk outside to a cafe with the kids and not throwing on sweats and loading the kids in the van for a trip to walmart.

So, I decided that I wanted to be one of those parents - who weren't afraid to get out of the house and take the young-ones, who's not afraid to get a sitter and spend the evening away.

Yes, it can be hard and you have to adjust to their age and schedule, but it has been successful. It is really easy to stay at home and you need time for that, but you can get out. I look for activities around town that will be entertaining and cheap and our weekends are almost always busy. (in a good way.)

GoldenSunrise said...

I would love to try to get out and do things. We are lazy and take the easy way out. Socially, I don't know where I fit in anymore.

Portland wawa said...

If we still lived there, we could help you with that, Golden. BB and I have never just stayed at home with the kids. But, that may not be for everyone. It does upset napping schedules.

T said...

There are things you can do, but like you said it takes some thought and planning and at the same time flexibility to what the little one needs too. I understand how staying at home can be easier.