Monday, March 05, 2007

rotavirus

As Golden has mentioned on her site, NJ has been sick for the last week but is starting to feel better. Today I am watching him (while feeling a little under the weather myself).

When we were determining what to do about him over the weekend Golden called the hospital to see what they would recommend. The nurse she spoke with indicated that it wasn't worth going to the hospital, but it sounded like NJ had a rotavirus. This is a virus that infects the digestive tract and can cause dehydration.

When I read up on rotavirus I found that it isn't the huge deal in the United States that it is elsewhere. In the U.S. there are 20-60 deaths from rotavirus infections a year. In developing nations thousands upon thousands of children die every year from rotavirus.

While trying to keep NJ hydrated was no picnic (and was actually something Golden did much more than me), I never worried about him dying. I cannot imagine the pain of watching a baby get severe enough diahrrea that it threatens his or her life. Even though it may not feel like we have it made at these times we really are. For that I am thankful.

5 comments:

Achtung BB said...

illnesses like rotorvirus don't seem like a big deal here, but isn't it disturbing that people who don't have access to medical care and clean water can die from it?

GoldenSunrise said...

We have had lots of laundry. That diahrrea is nasty! It breaks my heart to see NJ sick. He has lost some weight and I hope he can gain it back quick.

Anonymous said...

Poor baby. I'm glad NJ's feeling a bit better now. It's hard being so far away from him!

T said...

This is the worst stuff to go through as a child and a parent. N had it when she was a baby too. Glad he's on the mend! :)

roamingwriter said...

Glad he's better! Don't you love ask-a-nurse? I'd like to have something like that here. I guess I can just call SMMC on my internet line!