Thursday, March 08, 2007

going historical

For as long as I can remember I have dreamed about what it would be like to show someone from history what life is now. For some reason I usually picked George Washington in my imaginings. While I have a deep appreciation for his courage and how he impacted the course of history, he is not among the figures in history that I have found most interesting at any point in my life. I really don't have a clue why I subconsciously picked him.

Every once in a while, I would imagine what it would be like to explain current events and current technology to Mr. Washington. I would imagine driving him around in a car and pointing out that the Midwest is actually a part of the United States now. I would imagine what his reactions would be to seeing such a strange environment. I would ask whether people are really any different today than they were in his time.

This used to happen a lot more than it does now, but I still catch myself in thought on occasion working through how I would interact with the first president if he were transported through time to the present. After I have gone through my period of daydreaming about this the reality of my life seems just a little more exciting than it really is. I think George Washington would agree. That really means something, since he can't tell a lie.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I sometimes think the same thing--except in my head, the person I'm showing around is St. Paul from the Bible. Weird, eh?

Achtung BB said...

I would want to meet Leonado DaVinci. He was so ahead of his time and I wonder what he would say now.

Unknown said...

Woohoo! A fellow secret fan of a fabulous movie... Bill and Ted's EXCELLENT Adventure. I always knew you'd come around.

Sigmund Freud: "You seem to be suffering from a mild form of histeria."
Cute girl 1: "Oh my gosh, you are such a geek." (giggles)
Billy the Kid: "Way to go, egghead."
Socrates: "Yeah, GEEK."

GoldenSunrise said...

must be a guy thing...

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention this. Just yesterday I had a conversation with Sigmund Freud. Check it out at my blogsite - "Necessary Therapy"