Monday, March 19, 2007

400

As part of my 400th post I decided I would use something significant about the number as the basis for my post. Unfortunately, four hundred must be about the least significant round number in existence. So, I'm getting a little creative today.

My alleged OCD, and I say alleged because it has never been officially diagnosed, causes me to like two types of numbers. I like those divisible by four and round numbers. Four multiplied by the very round one hundred is four hundred. Therefore, today's post is on my OCD, or very close equivalent to OCD (such as OCPD or just plain psychosis).

The following are probably the most pronounced of my obsessive-compulsive traits.

  • I like counting. Not counting to large numbers, but counting in patterns of symmetrical even numbers. This is why I like fours. I have two hands, so if I scratch my face once I'll do it again with the same hand then twice with the other hand. Sometimes, I'll repeat this pattern four times for a grand total of sixteen scratches. I do this with other stuff too, like foot taps.
  • I don't like stepping on cracks in the sidewalk. I'll often (not always) go out of my way to avoid stepping on cracks.
  • I am a perfectionist. I don't think I am as much as I have been, but I have hard time doing something if it won't be perfect.
  • I am a packrat. I have a hard time throwing stuff away because I hate the idea of not being prepared, and I can visualize situations where I will need the object I am about to throw away.
  • I have in the past been overly concerned with germs. I think I have probably gone the other direction on that in recent years, though.
  • I like to order objects in symmetrical patterns.
  • I have an anxious personality.
  • I could be more flexible.
There is at least one obsessive-compulsive behavior that I do not exhibit. I don't do repetitive tasks (hand washing, checking locks, etc). I'm at least a little sane.

5 comments:

T said...

I watched the movie "As Good As It Gets" recently. The character in that movie could not step on cracks. He was kind of a mess when it came to the brick sidewalk. But his love interest helped him! So, does Golden help you when you get to brick floors? Does this mean you'll never have a wood floor in your house? What do you do when you visit people who have wood floors?

My questions are endless the answers are few! :)

400 is a good number I guess. I like 5's. 500 is better then 400!

Achtung BB said...

Have you considered seeking professional help? Actually a lot of those traits are good to have in the real world, except for the cracks in the side walks. I could see why you wanted to "fill those cracks" in your floor

Unknown said...

"alleged"
This coming from the guy who figured out his spring semester schedule before the fall semester even STARTED.

"I could be more flexible."
Hehe. No comment. But I can't dig in here because living with me required a certain flexibility.

"packrat"
I'll tell you what will break you from that spell. Move several times then put your stuff in storage for a couple years then decide you don't need it and try to get rid of it for something resembling decent value. This is the worst for technology items. Trust me: If you don't need it NOW, SELL IT!

"cracks in the sidewalk"
For me, this is a game. It's like when I drive down the road and I lift my foot up and down trying to make sure it's up for the duration of the time the car is crossing a road sign. It's really cool when the signs are close to the beat of the music, but for some reason that rarely happens.

Anonymous said...

Hello. I am unsure where else to write this. I am T-Bop's sister and he died last week. I cannot remember where he wanted to be scattered. Anyone else ever talk to him about it? I just don't feel right keeping him trapped in an urn. This is not a joke. Please help if you can.

shakedust said...

Kim,

T-Bop never mentioned that specifically, but he had a lot of conversations with some of the guys in this office about things he's done in his life, and maybe that can give some idea of what to do.

You can contact me at shakedust at gmail dot com.

Thanks,
Dust