Monday, March 12, 2007

the key to happiness

For years now I have read warnings about how Americans are in credit card debt up to their eyeballs, and that this comes from an instant gratification culture. I don't deny this, but there is rarely anything useful that comes out of those warnings. I'm just warned again and again of impending doom for when the economy will eventually collapse under the weight of all this debt and reminded not to go into serious debt myself.

I think most people would agree that a large percentage of this debt is accrued to keep up with the Joneses. I love the Volkswagen commercial at the bottom of this post because it illustrates the irrational psychological reasons people go into debt. I know everyone has seen it before, but it is still worth watching once more. Ironically, the commercial is advertising a lease program that I am sure encourages people to get more car than they can afford.

I think I have found what the key to financial happiness must really be. Pick friends, acquaintances, and neighborhoods to live in that are at the same or lower financial status than you. It seems so simple, but my experience is that more people are interested in moving up the social ladder than down it. After reaching this conclusion I found an article that agrees with my assessment. The easiest way to keep up with the Joneses is to find poor Joneses.

Before my friends and acquaintances pipe in about this, I am obviously approaching this as an academic discussion instead of a practical one. Deep down, this is a very selfish approach and I could never advocate it. I think, though, that it illustrates that a lot of people who wish to ascend into a higher social class are only guaranteeing their own misery in the process.



I promise not to write directly about finances again for at least another couple of weeks.

3 comments:

T said...

I remember that commercial! I like it!

I think that having relationships that span over several social classes has taught me a very important lesson:

What you have or don't have is not what makes you happy or not happy.

I know our parents and sunday school teachers try to tell us that but once you witness it and you see that we're all the same with a variance of income depending on job/career choice then you get a better perspective. That's why I think you should not limit the Joneses around you! :)

Achtung BB said...

It boils down to living within your means and having rich parents

GoldenSunrise said...

This has nothing to do with us painting our walls. Or all the other home improv. on my list! : )