Thursday, March 29, 2007

the birds

When I interviewed for my job a few years ago, the first thing I saw as I stepped out of my car was a large goose that was obviously irritated that I was near him or her. I stepped around the bird and never parked in that area of the parking lot again.

Every year around this time a few geese make our parking lot home. They don't cause too much trouble other than leaving droppings on the sidewalks and guarding their territory. This year, though, they appear to be more aggressive.

The geese set up a nest in an island in the middle of the parking lot in some greenery and under a small tree. Most people give this area some clearance when walking through the parking lot. This used to be an issue of us ignoring them and them ignoring us. No more.

A few days ago someone pointed out that the geese were attacking (by which I mean they were pecking at) a car. Not only that, it belonged to someone in my office. He tried setting off his car alarm, but it didn't phase them. I think that's because the alarm sounded like a goose. He told me the next day that his bumper had little dirt marks all over it.

The next day the geese picked a different car to pick on. This time one of them figured out how to climb on top of the car while the other pecked at the rear bumper. This lasted probably twenty minutes.

Finally, the day after that they decided to pick on a BMW parked in the far end of the parking lot. I am pretty sure that it is parked where it is so no one will ding the doors. The owner wasn't counting on the sequel to a Hitchcock movie going wild on her car.

I don't know why these birds have become irritated at the cars in our parking lot. I just know where I am not going to park.

4 comments:

Achtung BB said...

They can be pretty mean birds. My parents used to live by a lake where the geese would settle during the winter months. I remember they would chase Monty and peck at him if he got too close. It was funny.

T said...

I do not like Birds. I don't understand what purpose they have? I know less insects. But at least the insects don't peck at you or your car. The lesser of two evils? I'm not sure which I would pick?

GoldenSunrise said...

I think I do better around birds and other animals than Dust does. : )

windarkwingod said...

Birds taste good. What you need to do is figure out a way to drop one and put it in your trunk. If you buy a chest freezer you will have enough meat to feed your entire family. This coule be a veritable fountain of poultry. Urban men must take the upper-hand even in Overland Park.